Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it.

I've been contemplating crafts lately. Megan from over at Mrs. Tgo Says is having herself a Pinterest party and I've been mulling over ideas of what to do for it. I've halfway decided to decorate a pair of shoes. Remember when you were bored in class and you used to draw on your shoes? Canvas shoes worked the best because the pens easily wrote on the fabric. Anyway, I still think that's fun. My problem is not the creation of doodles on a shoe. When I would do it back in the day it was a spur of the moment thing when I would be bored in class and had already written notes to pass in the hallways to friends. It wasn't perfect, it was just mostly squiggles and lines. My problem is the planning for it. I feel like I need to have some sort of pattern in mind. Granted, the shoes don't need to look like I bought them all decked out; I don't mind the homemade look. Sometimes I much rather prefer it. But I'd like to do something more than curly ques and squiggles. I was taken by some of Lotta Bruhn's illustrations. This one in particular:


I'm trying to figure out how I would put that sort of illustration on a shoe. I'm thinking maybe I would just do one of the pairs of elephants? I love elephants. I'm still thinking. Maybe just some chevron pattern would be easier? We'll see. I have a few more days to contemplate. By the time the party rolls 'round, I might decide to just do a coaster...

Yesterday I found the most awesome sweatshirt I've ever seen and I immediately bought it. Of course I want to wear a first edition cover of one of my favorite books all the time! Bless you, Out of Print Clothing. Less than an hour after finding the shirt, the company had already shipped it out to me! How quick, I thought. The company is Out of Print Clothing and they specialize in clothes and totes and journals and stuff for bookworms. Heart. Also, when you purchase something from them, they use some of the money to support the Books for Africa project. Added bonus!

Something less exciting is the fact that I have a door in my home that dislikes staying shut. I got home on Monday night to find Bea super excited and a little on the chilly side. I thought she'd just been hanging out in the windows all day watching the world go by. She tends to do that. If you drive by my house, chances are pretty good that you'd see her watching you from one of the front windows. So, I shrugged it off and walked into the kitchen where I saw the back porch door wide open and realized that Bea had not, in fact, spent the day in the windows watching the world go by; she spent it out in the world. It isn't the first time it's happened. The wind has thrown the door open a number of times, unfortunately. Sometimes when I'm at work. Nobody has ever come into my house (that I know of) or stolen anything or whatnot. There's not much to take unless they have a strong desire for a half-working record player or some romance novels. Mostly I've always worried about my pet getting out and run over or something. I live on a busy street. This was the first time it's happened since Bea has been with me. With Iris, I never worried about her leaving the house because she was so scared of going outside. She would usually hide upstairs somewhere until I got home. Bea is a different story entirely and I'm super glad that she returned to me after her adventures. I'm also glad it was so beautiful on Monday with temperatures in the 60s so my house wasn't an igloo when I got home. Anyway, the door is bolted now and has a kitchen island positioned in front of it now to try to stop a repeat performance of Monday. I really need a new door, but that's not in the budget right now.

One of the main reasons I am so addicted to Pinterest is the vast number of poems, quotes, and clever witty sayings that are shared on it every day. Sometimes I just love the fact that it allows me to collect these things and share them. Like the very wise Rudyard Kipling's advice on living well:




No comments:

Post a Comment