Thursday, February 2, 2012

Ode to February.

Inspired by many lists of favorite love songs, I decided to come up with my own for this month. I wouldn't necessarily call myself a Romantic, but I do harbor some sentiment for the mushiness, I suppose. Deep down somewhere. At any rate, my love for music is much more willingly-shared with people and in this pink-and-red month, it seems like the perfect time to share my list of favorite love songs! Well, love is used loosely here. It's love, break-up, and assorted songs, I guess. Let's face it, this is just an excuse for me to make a list of songs, which I enjoy. A virtual mix-tape of awesomeness, so to speak. One thing I did come to realize while making this list is that men seem to write way more romantic songs than women do. Women tend to lean more toward the break-up songs. Or the songs about needing to go find themselves, etc. Men are much more into the mushy lyrics. It was a struggle to find a semi-lovey song sung by a woman for this list. I thought for a while Bette was going to be the only woman. But, as I said, these songs are not only for the Cupid-struck, but also for the Bitter-and-Lonely and Happily-Single. A little for everyone!



"First Day of My Life" Bright Eyes
Truly. Sweet.

"At My Window, Sad and Lonely" Billy Bragg & Wilco
Perfect for the lonely hearts club.

"Some Enchanted Evening" from the Broadway musical South Pacific
Emile, the plantation owner, singing about 'carpe diem' in a lovely Rogers-and-Hammerstein sort of way. With all the sappy love songs in musicals, I don't think any self-respecting list would refuse admittance to at least one.

"Ordinary People" John Legend
Leave it to John Legend to write one of the most practical love songs ever. And yet still so lovely, too.

"Your Cheating Heart" Hank Williams
Hank Williams' twangy, you-made-your-bed-now-lie-in-it ballad is pretty self-explanatory.

"Do You Wanna Dance?" Bette Midler
Seriously, I can listen to this song on repeat all day. Viva la Bette.

"Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe" Barry White
There can't be a love song list without Barry, amiright?

"I Can't Make You Love Me" Bon Iver
I'm a Bonnie Raitt fan, so no disrespect to her by choosing this cover, but Bon Iver takes the heartbreak of this song to a whole new level. Kleenex, please?

"She's Got a Way About Her" Billy Joel
Everyone all together now: Awww.

"Where I Stood" Missy Higgins
Kind of the antithesis Valentine's Day song about needing to figure out who you are when you're not in a relationship.

"Sugar, Sugar" The Archies
Such an upbeat, cheery tune for your Valentine's Day. Imagine Cupid snapping his fingers as he sallies forth down the street.

"Fidelity" Regina Spektor
A deceptively uppity song. The lyrics are less 'lovey-dovey' than the melody leads on. Still, I like it.

"Lady in Red" Chris De Burgh
Confession: This is probably the only song on the list that really makes my heart melt. [No shame.]

"Blame It" Jamie Foxx feat. T-Pain
Haha, just kidding... Sorta.

"Kiss Me Slowly" Parachute
I just recently heard this song on the radio and it's so vomit-inducingly sweet that it had to make the list. It reminds me a bit of "Hey There Deliliah" from several years ago in its ridiculously cutesy nature. This will be a top-spin on Valentine's Day for sure.

"Don't You Remember" Adele
The queen of the break-up song, right here. The beautifully-written and delivered break-up song, I should say.

"Wonderwall" Oasis
Come on. I'd probably fall over and die if I had a song list and didn't include at least one Oasis jam on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment