Monday, January 30, 2012

Always the first star that I find

If you've never surfed over to SomethingSwanky.com and drooled over the sweets that they showcase every day....well, I don't know what you're waiting for. You need to get on that. Last week I saw this red velvet cake batter dip on Pinterest and followed the link back to SomethingSwanky and nearly lost my mind at the awesomeness of everything I saw. But, this red velvet cake batter dip + funfetti sugar cookies was what blew my mind the most. I can't think of anything that would taste better than this. This even beats out chocolate for me...which I thought would be an impossible feat.


Although, on the topic of chocolate, I've had the brownies with the Symphony chocolate bar in the middle and I can vouch for the amazingness of that, as well. You won't ever want to bake anything without checking out this website first for ideas. It's so awesome.

This weekend went by so fast, but it was such fun. I went to another going-away party, and that was fun. It was with the same group who had to say goodbye to someone last month, as well. I feel like there's been a lot of leaving in the last few years. Lots of going-aways, very few welcome-backs. But, that's the way it is, I guess? It was fun. This was for someone I used to work with who got herself a job back closer to where she grew up. She's pretty excited to go back and who can blame her? I think she'll be happier there, even though she will be missed here. The party was cowboy-themed and included fuzzy mustaches for everyone, sheriff and sheriff's deputy badges, and cowboy hats. Good time. Then I went to a baby shower and it was really fun, too. Lots of cute things and activities. Sometimes baby showers can be a little too cutesy for me. I get kind of overdosed on the 'aww'. But, this was really cleverly done because it was done as a battle of the sexes sort of baby shower and the culmination was for the grandmother to cut the cake that my friend had baked and the inside of the cake would be either blue or pink and that would tell the gender of the baby. Her mother started to cry a little when she cut the cake and found out the baby was a boy. It was really cute. I liked how that was done. Nobody but the parents knew the gender of the baby, so it was exciting for everyone to find out at once. Hunter Amos will make his debut in April. It was a really well-done shower. I had a good time. It was fun too, because it was with some ladies that I don't get to see very often. I went to high school with them and I only see them now and again, so it was really great. Two acted as hostesses for the baby shower and they did such a great job at the planning of it all. Not to mention the soon-to-be mom, who is such a good chef that the cake and everything was delicious. Mmm.

It occurs to me, thinking back over the weekend, that I know some damn good party planners. I myself loathe planning parties or having to act as hostess to anything. I'm always super impressed by people who plan activities that are actually fun to do or clever or creative. I don't mind participating in activities, I just hate being the one having to make preparations and explain rules and things to a bunch of people. I'm a bit of a wallflower when it comes to social situations, especially parties. I prefer to be led or left alone...usually to eat cookies or cake if there is such a thing at the party. There were both at the parties this weekend. Nom, nom, nom.

I really am going to go back to the health plex this week. Tomorrow, I think if all goes well. I'm feeling better and slowly sounding better.

Beatrix usually sleeps with me all night and tends to be a pretty easy-going cat. She usually just sleeps the whole night. Or used to. Since I got back from Peru, she seems to be off-kilter a bit. Or maybe she's pissed off that I left. She's very clearly off routine, whatever the reason. She woke me up at 3:30 this morning by sitting next to my head and then slapping my face with her paws. I was not amused. She does that when she gets bored and wants attention. The slapping part is less dangerous now than it used to be when she still had claws, but it's still an unhappy way to be woken up, especially 3 hours before the alarm has to go off. After she wouldn't stop, she was kicked out of the room. She's starting to recognize when I'm mad at her. She gets her full name used and it only takes once and she's usually got the idea that she's in trouble. Progress in the Hartke house! She's a very good cat and rarely gets in trouble, except in cases like last night where she gets ornery about wanting attention when I'm asleep. I'm hoping we leave this phase behind us shortly.

I'm becoming more of a tea drinker lately. It isn't just because I'm sick, either. I think it has more to do with the fact that at work we have an automatic hot water dispenser (I don't mean the faucet). It takes the hassle out of making tea because you don't have to mess with the  microwave or anything. It's piping hot filtered water! It's great for oatmeal, too. I love it. Here's to hoping that (if you don't have an automatic hot water dispenser) you someday get to experience the awesomeness of this development as well.

Work is once again pretty lonely. Pandora is keeping me company today. Guster is singing about how you are his satellite. Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment