Saturday, April 28, 2012

Downton timesuck.

I caved to temptation and purchased the second season of Downton Abbey yesterday and I've not been able to stop re-watching it. I just love that show. Not only the plot and the characters, but the clothes and the hairdos and things. Everything is wonderful. Matthew is sending Lavinia away at the moment. High drama. I also love the parodies and clever blogs that have cropped up about DA:



I spent most of the week painting things white around the house. I'm still working on finishing a couple of bookcases, but today I went back to the floor in the sunporch and began putting down a sealer coat. It's looking pretty nice. Beatrix is being a really good girl and staying off of it most of the day. I spent some of today shopping for a colorful rug and found two that work out pretty nicely. 

I visited a local veggie and fruit picking place earlier this week after work. I signed up to get e-mails about when certain crops are available to be picked. They have strawberries now, and next they'll have blackberries and then raspberries and at some point green beans. Although I've grown up in the midwest and have been around farms and people who have farms, I am woefully ignorant of all things farm-y. I'm slowly learning. Still, I have very little concept of growing times for certain crops. I'm of the mind that I go to the grocery store and the stuff is magically there. If not always there, it's still pretty much all the time, yes? It's kind of a earth-rattling thing to finally get the point that there are growing seasons for crops. Did you know strawberries only grow 3 weeks per year? Usually they are ready for harvesting around here beginning in late May, but because of the super warm winter we had here, they're done a month early. I didn't know they had such a short time span for harvesting. Frankly, I know zilch about this sort of thing. I was listening to one of the owners of the picking place discussing the crops he's planted and how many rows of blackberries they planted and how much they sell and when certain things should be ready and I was kind of fascinated by the whole thing. Anyway, I picked grapes one Fall a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, and for several years now I've gone and picked my own pumpkin for Halloween. I think I'll try to get to this place and pick a quart of fruit now and again over this summer. And green beans! Mmm. Huzzah to farmers.

1 comment: