Friday, November 18, 2011

If your sky is falling, take my hand and hold it.

Blargh. I totaled my car tonight. When I have a bad week, I don't do it half-heartedly. Hell, no. I go all out. All is well though... In the big scheme of things, everything is fine. I am minus one cat and one car than I was a week ago, but I am fine and I still have a house and a job and family and friends and three seasons of "Designing Women" and a bag of those awesome cinnamon imperials candies to eat. So, there's really not a whole lot to complain about.

I'm looking at cars online and I am completely overwhelmed. I have no idea what is a good car versus what is not? I would like good mileage and good safety. I know I'll be buying a used car, but I have a lot of research to do suddenly in the auto world. I haven't ever had the luxury of choosing a car for myself. I had a Nissan Sentra that I bought in college and it was good. It served me well through my Texas adventures. I bought it because it was cheap and the only thing I could afford, not because it was necessarily fantastically reviewed or anything. But I ended up loving it. It was a good little car with the most kickass sound system a gal could want. I mean, people could hear me coming down the streets in Waco like you wouldn't believe. And then I sold Luna the Sentra after I kind of inherited my mom's Subaru (named Tinker). I had no car payments on and it served me well, also. Tonight, especially. I am sold on the safety of Subarus. I would definitely get another one if I could somehow afford it. That cashflow thing seems to be where my hiccup is. I had thought to get a new car but not yet. I was thinking maybe next year sometime after I actually was working for a while and saved up some moolah. My dad offered me his Subaru (named Pilgrim) to commute back and forth for a while. I might do that for a bit. Pilgrim is bigger and I'm not as comfortable with it as I was with Tinker, but I'd feel safe driving it.

Let's end this on a high note: Tomorrow is my neighboring old folks home annual cookie sale! Yuuuuum. Oatmeal scotchies, iced sugar cookies, and chocolate m&m cookies: come to mama.

Oh, and another high note: Tonight after my dad came and found me on the highway and the first wrecker man showed up, my dad took me to Steak and Shake for hot chocolate and an awesome cookie sundae thing. When the waitress came and asked us how we were doing tonight, my dad said I totaled my car and that I had a bad week and after we ate and went to pay for our food, the cashier said it had already been taken care of! How sweet is that? I love random acts of kindness from total strangers...especially when I am the recipient of it. Steak and shake waitress, I wish I could remember your name because I would write to the restaurant headquarters about how nice you all are, but since I can't remember: you are awesome and fantastic and I hope you have a wonderful life!


1 comment:

  1. So glad you're ok. Hopefully your insurance will total your car and give you a nice check to help cover some of the costs of the new one. Mine was pretty hefty which helped out a lot. If it helps any, I absolutely LOVED my Mazda 3!

    ReplyDelete