Thursday, September 1, 2011

In which I try to not look too closely at the undergraduate population.

It's September and so, *drumroll* Fall begins today! (For me. If you like summer, by all means, keep at it, crazy person.) Once August is over, I'm into Fall. No matter that the high today is 100. And no matter that the calendar says summer goes on. It's personally Fall and that makes me happy.

I'm playing with fire today in the form of Jill vs. the parking police on campus. I don't know whether or not it's going to work out since I'll probably have to continue this game tomorrow and possibly even early next week. The probable outcome is that there will be a ticket on my car tonight when I go to drive home. And that's okay, I have a game plan for that scenario. I have game plans for almost everything. I like to have alternate exits because very rarely do my projects or plans work out the way I hope they will. As with most things, my plans begin in confusion and end in disarray. But it's fun that way.


So, this is the second week of school and for some reason, the undergraduate population I've been near lately have been extremely obnoxious. I don't think I'm overly-sensitive to this, but for some reason, they're just really really loud and Me-Me-Me-Me-Me and, in some cases, really pitiful. I don't think I was this bad when I was that age (they're only maybe 5 or 6 years younger in some cases). I know I use(d) 'like' too much, but I prefer to think that I was not as self-involved as some of these girls seemed. Earlier this week, no matter where I went on campus to finish reading for my class, there were loud girls sitting near me whining/gushing/complaining about guys and every other phrase was 'like' or 'ya know' interspersed with obnoxious giggles. After moving around to three different buildings/areas on campus, I ended up in the Union in a corner table where I hoped nobody would join me. Lo and behold, two girls came and sat at the next table and one proceeded to talk for twenty minutes about a guy named 'Chad'. Every single sentence had the word 'Chad' in it and what Chad did the other day and what Chad's apartment is like and where Chad's classes are and who Chad's friends are and, omg, Chad said the funniest thing the other day. I wanted to simultaneously shake her and shout, 'USE A DIFFERENT NAME FOR GOD'S SAKE, I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE.' (I even had a name picked out for the kid: Mortimer. I wouldn't have been so annoyed if the name were slightly interesting.) I also felt really badly for her friend who had to sit and feign interest in this for such an extended amount of time and anytime the friend would try to change the topic or ask about something else, the other girl would bring it back to Chad. *face palm*

And then, in a very strange case, yesterday at lunch at a campus bar & grill, I sat in a booth and at the next booth were two guys (not really that young) who ordered a pitcher of beer and then set up their laptop on the table and ate lunch while watching episodes of some Japanese cartoon show and every once in a while you'd hear one of them go, 'Oh!! They're gonna kiss!' and I tried to eat my chicken sandwich without laughing or looking at them with a look of pity, but: Come on. This is just sad. It's one thing to get a bunch of buddies together and have watch parties in your own apartments or dorm rooms or whatever, but you drag it to a restaurant and spend the entire time watching tv on your computer? Wha? I felt kind of like asking them if they realized that this kind of thing doesn't really show them in a favorable light to real-life girls, but that wouldn't have helped. They packed up the laptop and as they left I heard one say, 'Let's go to the Union and watch at least one more hour.' *face palm*

I can understand how older people seem to lose all hope in younger generations, but the good thing is that in most cases they will grow out of it. Hopefully the girl won't always be so selfish and Me-Me-Me-Me, and maybe her friend will stick around long enough to see that happen. Or not. The guys? Someday their laptop computers will crash and they'll go out into the world for a day or two and mingle with people and possibly make new friends and become slightly more approachable. I need to stop observing people. I need to find things to do instead of people-watching when I'm wandering around campus, because this is just a sad state of affairs here.

No comments:

Post a Comment