I roofed today! For the first time ever! I feel like a real homeowner now. And not just a homeowner who lives in a house she pays for each month, but one who is handy and able to fix things! I didn't mess with shingles because the roof doesn't need that. It needed to be repaired of some leakage, which was fixed with a full gallon of "roof cement" + me + a trowel + a spatula thingamajig + gloves! Plus a rope that I could hold on to in case I thought I was slipping off the roof. Plus my dad standing on a ladder next to the roof overseeing the project and helping me see where I needed more cement on places. It certainly wasn't/isn't pretty (although I think it looks better than it did, actually), and I had to sacrifice the clothes I wore to the trash bin due to being covered in cement. I dropped cement places that a person who had done this before probably wouldn't, and so, there is random cement blobs on shingles, but I look at that as extra leakage protection.
All in all, I feel pretty proud of myself for being able to do something this handy! I didn't have to hire a roofer to do this. It cost less than 30 bucks to do this myself. And hopefully my leaky roof is fixed! And, I'm less squeamish and squirmy about trying my hand at fixing things around my old house simply by doing something as daunting as I thought roofing would be. Gotta fix the ceiling sometime this winter, but that seems less scary now too. Baby steps, but it's making me feel much more like a capable adult!
 |
| Roofin' the day away! |
 |
| The finished (but not yet dry) product! |
|
|
|
Great job! I love being able to do stuff myself, though it just takes multiple years to finally get up and do it. Finally got a shade put up in our half-circle window in the guest bedroom today - no more big ghetto box as a shade!
ReplyDeleteHuzzah for us!
ReplyDelete