Last night I discovered two things while grocery shopping:
1) Saturday evening is a great time to shop. Very few people in the store.
2) The natural foods/organic section of a certain grocery store in town is waaaaaay cooler than I had anticipated.
Ty Pennington and the Extreme Makeover Home Edition team is going to Joplin! I wonder how many buildings he's going to build? I would hope that he would help more than one family (although helping one family is great in itself, don't get me wrong). That's something I would like to help with. I've heard of others helping out on that show and having a blast with it. The project starts on October 19th which is a Wednesday...and right before my Comps begin. I don't think I'll be able to physically go help build because of comps...but maybe I can donate something? I'll have to look more into it. All in all, this is fantastic news, though!
So, I told you that I was trying to stop drinking as much soda as I used to? I still am trying, but I've been failing a lot lately. The vacation was tough to keep that up with, but it's tougher to get back to it now that I'm home again. I'm trying to eat better as well and did buy a lot of fruit last night at the store and I've decided to begin to re-make these tortilla pizzas that I used to make in Italy. We didn't have a microwave in Italy, but we had a little oven that could bake things semi-quickly. I would make little pizzas with sauce and cheese on tortillas and then fold them over and they were so good. Italy's tortillas were thicker than what I could find here. I'm a little worried that the sauce will bleed right through the ones I have, but I could just do double-tortilla pizzas. I think it will work. I'm looking forward to trying it, anyway.
It's candle-burning weather. The other night I had just one lamp on in my living room and lit one of my autumn candles (smelled like pumpkin pie) and it was so lovely. The house still smelled like it yesterday when I got home from class/work. Yesterday was a long(ish) day. It was my first Saturday class. Three hours right over lunchtime. Luckily, it's a teacher who never fails to keep people amused. He's less of a teacher and more of a story-teller/joke teller, really. He tends to go on tangents. At any rate, the three hours went by pretty quickly. Then I headed off to practicum for a couple of hours and worked on a photo archival project. This is good. I wanted to work with photographs. I wouldn't mind being a photo archivist if I could land a job as one. I think I'd really enjoy it.
My hair is slowly growing out. Slowly but surely. I'm so impatient with it. I really just want to have longer hair again that I could put up in a ponytail when I want. I'm trying new (healthy?) things in haircare as well as in food. For months I've wanted sulfate-free shampoo, but I have so much regular shampoo that I felt like it was a waste to make the switch after shelling out money on other shampoo. I'm not a person that can use the same shampoo every day, so I have like, 5 shampoos that I switch around. I felt like I needed to get through most of those five bottles before attempting to switch to sulfate-free. Anyway, last night at the store I wandered around and found a couple of sulfate-free shampoos and looked over them and ended up buying one. I'm going to try to alternate it in while I finish the small amounts of regular shampoo I have and then buy a second sulfate-free to alternate with this one... I don't know if I'll ever try the full on shampoo-free thing that I've seen going around. I just don't know if I could handle the transitional period that they say it takes for your hair to adjust to that. But when you think about it: children often have really beautiful hair and they don't tend to wash their hair every day, nor do they have as many years of using regular shampoo on their hair and causing a chemical buildup. The scalp is still counter-balancing the chemicals in the shampoo. The hair just naturally takes care of itself and looks really pretty. I want the hair I had when I was little. Sigh. Does this make sense or just sound like a lot of just procrastination on making a decision? I want to get healthier hair, especially since it'll be long again. I don't want dried out, frizzy hair and sulfates in shampoo have a tendency to do that. They strip your hair of the natural oils that your scalp produces. They're also not necessary to get your hair clean, as sulfates are the 'lathering agent' in shampoos. It's just so you see that it lathers and then you think that you're getting a better clean. It's basically just to soothe your psyche, not clean your hair. Some places say that sulfates in regular shampoo = cancer risk. From what I can tell, the risk is eye cancer and that can happen if you get shampoo in your eyes. It seems to me that using regular shampoo is fine (as far as eye cancer goes) as long as you don't continuously put it in your eyes. And who does that? So, the cancer risk that some reports warn about, I'm skeptical of, but I still think that the fewer chemicals that I put on my hair, the healthier it will be. Especially since I color my hair...sulfates can strip the color (along with the natural oils). Since my head is already a chemical hot spot, so why not try to cut back a little where I can? I had heard of a couple of companies that made sulfate-free shampoo, but the prices were ridiculous for some of them and also, I couldn't find one that I really wanted to try at most stores. I found a couple of new brands/companies I'd not heard of before at the grocery store last night (in that really cool natural/organic area) and decided to try one called "Nature's Gate". I've found love, my friends. I wish the store carried more of their products. They have sun care and skin care products as well as hair care. I think I'll buy more of their products when I can. I hope they grow to having more of a presence in the store. So far, I think they are only in one grocery store in town. Which is okay, I guess. Better than nowhere. Last evening, I bought this shampoo and it smells really really fantastic, and I love that my hair smells like pears now too:

I think they're building several houses in Joplin. And amen to the soda thing - it's so hard to cut back!! That shampoo looks appealing..
ReplyDelete