Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"Arsonist unknowingly assists SHS with renovation plans"

A fella broke into the campus main library over the weekend and set fires in the work areas of the circulation librarians. He also did some other stuff aside from the fire, all of which has caused quite a bit of damage. The main book shelves and student areas of the library were not harmed at all, only the circulation area and the desks of the librarians. It has lead to a lot of questions amongst the librarians and, in turn, the library school. The person was not a former employee of the library, but it looks as though he had some sort of vendetta against certain people in the department, based on the high amounts of damage to certain people's work spaces and very little damage to others. Some of my classmates work in that area. Most everyone lost their computers (not in the fire, but rather in the rampage of destruction the guy did aside from the fire) and any personal knick-knacks they might have had on their desks. Everyone is throwing out ideas in classes about what could have caused someone to do this to librarians of all people. Did he not get a book quick enough? Was he fined some money because he lost a book and was super super angry about it? Or was he just mentally off-balanced and decided to take it out on the librarians? Perhaps he found something totally offensive in a book he checked out and blamed the librarians for buying it kind of like, "ARRRGH! I'm SO mad at you for giving me that book I requested when you KNEW it would make me upset! I can't believe Santa is not real!! How dare you!?!" ...Or not. I have no clue. I shouldn't laugh at it, but it is kind of ridiculous. I guess we should be glad he decided to do this when nobody was around to face his wrath in person. It did affect the place I work because where I work is partly located below that area of the main library. We got water damage to our break room, people's desks and offices got some water damage as well and a little smoke damage, but nothing catastrophic. We are secure in the knowledge that we weren't the target of this dude's anger. Mostly just clean-up is all that's needed. We will have to get rid of some reels of microfilm, but they were duplicates anyway and we have the main silver rolls available to make copies. It could have been much worse than it was. And, to my mind, this is kind of a *good* thing because now we'll finally get the ceiling and wall and flooring renovations we've been requesting for years. Moving on up!

No comments:

Post a Comment