Saturday, December 3, 2011

Slight technical difficulties

Tonight I decided that I could wait no longer to begin messing with my sewing machine. I wanted to refashion a shirt that I bought last year from Modcloth and that I have always loved the fabric, but the fit and style of the shirt is really unflattering:


I began straight away, because I'm an impatient person.

I wish the lighting in this particular room was less yellow-y, but nevertheless, it's the same shirt with the sleeves and neckline cut out. So, then I went to my sewing machine. I had checked it over earlier this week and noticed that I was missing certain parts. Nothing that wouldn't allow me to sew a basic stitch, though. I have things ordered and they're on their way, but I thought that I could easily sew straight stitches to refashion this top into a pleated v-neck button-down tunic for summer. However...the needle is bent and so now I have to find a new needle tomorrow for the machine. 

I was not deterred (initially) and continued on to cut the sleeves and then handsew them together to make the strips that would become the neckline pleats: 


It wasn't too bad. I don't mind handsewing, actually. But, I draw the line at handsewing the pleats to the collar. That will wait until after I find a new sewing machine needle. But, I did pin the pleats down so I only have to sew them down and try to finish the sleeves and collar edges to complete this! I feel good about the process so far. I haven't ever tried a refashion quite this complex (and it's not even that hard), but so far I think it's working out.

Still, until the sewing machine is back in working order, the refashion is stalled out at this stage:

And while I was cutting and pinning and handsewing, I looked up and saw Bea in the tree:


 G'night.

No comments:

Post a Comment