It's already Wednesday? Time flies. Another year is almost over. Shut THAT door! (If you and I were speaking in person, that would have been said in a funny way, mimicking something from a british sitcom that used to play on PBS about a decade ago. But, alas and alack, mimicry doesn't translate online. But trust me, it's funny. Although, after typing this explanation it occurs to me that I don't know anybody who would probably get that joke if I did say that line in person because perhaps nobody remembers that tiny snippet of a scene from a sitcom episode years ago. Nevermind. I'm sorry you had to read this.)
My neighbors moved out today and they lost their cat in the process. I'm on the lookout for "Snickers", should she come a-calling. She slipped out the door during one of the trips to and fro. Come back, Snickers! Don't get run over.
I saw the movie "The Social Network". I don't know how long that's been out, but a while, I guess. I deliberately did not see it when it first came out. As uninterested as I am in Facebook and due to my mostly-hate-never-love relationship with the site, I didn't think having to sit through hours of facebook chit-chat on the screen would be something I would ever want to put myself through. But, after once again removing myself from the site (yes, that Timeline update that I put on the profile months ago really couldn't hold my interest very long...), a friend suggested I watch the movie because it had changed the way that they saw the website. I'll have to question that friend a bit more because why would that movie make you like the website? I know the movie is fiction, but even so, it's about the website. It was everything I hate about the site all thrown together into a movie. I kept waiting for the happy part. The part that would be the epiphany. Where I would be like, 'Oh! That's cool.' But, it never came. I mostly sat there becoming more and more certain that this was a sad, sad person who created a sad, sad website that ended up having over a million virtual members and zero real friends. Maybe Zuckerberg isn't quite the sociopathic he portrayed as in the movie, but reading the reviews of the movie afterward and seeing what the real co-founders thought of the movie makes me think that, in Zuckerberg's personality at least, the movie was not far off. He didn't seem like a very happy person with any ambition other than creating a website that easily allowed him to cyberstalk his ex-girlfriend and get some name recognition in the process. I guess in those things, he's won. I mean, she did sign up for his website, right? Good job. But in the end, he has no real friends at all. As a side note though, those twins that he was forced to payout those millions to was a crock. I don't feel bad for the guy, seeing as he's rolling in dough, but it would kind of gall me to have to pay up to fools like those twins. But, still. In the big scheme of things, watching that movie did in no way alter my views on the website. To my mind, it's still boring, it's still potentially a very creepy place, and it's the worlds largest hole in which you lose touch with actual friends under the guise of 'staying in touch'.
Enough of the boring facebook chit chat. Back to real life:
Are you ready for New Year's Eve?! My family calls NYE 'Amateur Night' and as a general rule, we mostly try to stay off the roads that night, or at least celebrate in places where we don't have to drive ourselves around but can walk or whatever. I don't remember what I did last year, but I still have the two pennies I put out on the porch on the 31st of December 2010 and re-picked up on January 1 of this year. They have made it no further than the neon green stool sitting right inside my entryway. Another indication of life getting away from me this year. If I were going out and had oodles of cashmoney on hand for a dress I'd probably wear once, this would be my dress. And shoes. [And how catchy is my title, whatwhat?] :
I don't think I'll miss 2011. It kind of came and went before I noticed it was here. I feel like it should be March, maybe, as far as how much I've consciously been aware of it being 2011. It was all school, school, school. Really. I can't think of much else that I did this year but school, school, school. I wonder what next year will be? Certainly not school, school, school. Maybe travel, travel, travel? Peru! [Certamente!] New York City? [Megan? Maybe!] Florida, South Carolina, Get-me-to-a-beach-right-now? [Seriously thinking this is a must do next year. Standing on a beach in Peru won't cut it. I'm envisioning a relaxing week-long beach sort of trip where the only language I have to struggle to understand is the deep southern drawl of my fellow Americans.]
One thing I do resolve to do is to clean my house and get rid of things. I got rid of a bunch of movies tonight. I have plans to get rid of other things, too. Sometimes cleaning out your life is...cleansing. Duh. This post is neither here nor there, it seems. Enjoy your remaining days of 2011 [y'all].

Oooh, if you come east (like, NYC or wherever), I'll go with you! Think you can even take the train or bus from here.
ReplyDelete