Aaand, Christmas 2011 has slammed shut. Tomorrow is back to business as mostly usual. How was your holiday? Good, I hope. Mine was nice, jolly, and all-around happy. Beatrix, however, decided to crap in her cat carrier in an effort to be deemed 'unfit for travel'. She was proven wrong. My philosophy on this turned out to be that once I have caught her and stuffed her into the cat carrier, no amount of meowing or pooping is going to get me to let her out of the carrier or car prior to arriving at our destination. Despite doing this on the way to and from our Christmas port of call, she failed at getting me to turn the car around and celebrate Christmas at home. Instead, she spent the majority of the rest of both the first and last day of Christmas traveling cleaning herself after sitting in her own poop for a while. She ruined her Christmas toys on the way home, though. They were in the carrier with her. That sucked. But, mostly, a good time was had by all. She and my dad's cat got along so much better than they did at Thanksgiving. They're practically friendly. Almost. Watson can't quite control his hissing and growling and by the end of the holiday, a member or two of the house would tend to break into this song in honor of him when Beatrix would start to look like she was going to initiate an unwelcome playtime: "Nobooooody knoooows the trouble I've seeeen. Noboooody knooows my sorrrroooow. Nobooody knooooows the trouble I've seeeen. Gloooorrrry Hallelujah."
I saw the movie "A Christmas Story" with that kid named Ralphie in it, you know? I'd never seen it before, but I saw it twice over the weekend. I get it now. It's funny. For years I've been out of the loop. Welcome to the loop, Jill. There was also some church-goin. We sang Christmas carols as if they were dirges. I know Lutherans can be a dour lot, but this was surprising. If you ever want to hear "Hark the Herald Angels Sing!" and "Good Christian Men, Rejoice!" sung in the most depressing way at a Christmas service let me know. I can hook you up. I kept trying to sing a little faster in the hopes that those around me would also speed up the tempo and we'd have a less depressing carol. It was to no avail. And then they kind of skimped us out of Stille Nacht, which is my most favorite thing about my Lutheran sect's Christmas service. Last year, my dad and I were completely gypped by the service because we went to the wrong one and they only sang Silent Night in English and--while it's a pretty song no matter what--it's beautiful in German with the lights out and everyone holding candles. I mean, really. It's magnificent. This year we were determined to make sure we went to the right service, and we did, but they had a soloist sing it and she only sang one verse and was finished before they even had everyone's candles lit and the overhead lights were still on. I wanted to jump up and be like, 'Encore! We're still lighting up down here!' Foiled again. Oh, church.
Tomorrow I go in to learn about strength training at the healthplex I joined. They're going to show me how much weight I need to use on some machine to make my knees and ankles strong(er). I'm optimistic about this. They did an initial health assessment, which I passed with flying colors! I was in the good-excellent category in all the tests that they had me do, even the hand-grip strength test. I'm not ready for arm wrestling or even thumb wrestling, but it wasn't bad.
Have you heard of the Webcam Travel site? I think it's neat. It's just a google map full of web cams that you can click and view. It's interesting right now to look at the world as a whole and see the little thumbnails because so many of them are in prominent cities that have their holiday displays shining. Parts of the world are very colorful right now. It's neat. Here's the link if you want to check it out: http://www.webcams.travel/
No comments:
Post a Comment