Monday, December 12, 2011

Have yourself a merry little Christmas, too.



I'm officially in the Christmas spirit. I came across this version of the classic song and I like it. It's super depressing, but the song itself was never actually all that happy. Judy Garland is bawling while she sings it originally. Also, Andrew Belle doesn't really do peppy numbers.

So, as I said, I am in the Christmas spirit. I saw "Polar Express" over the weekend and it really pulled me into the season. I love that movie so much. I also saw the movie "Nothing Like the Holidays" for the first time. It was good. I liked it. I might watch it again before it has to be returned. Also, I managed to get nearly all of my Christmas shopping done. I went to a party over the weekend, but it wasn't a holiday party. It was a so long-farewell-auf wiedersehen-goodbye kind of party, but lots of fun. I saw people I haven't seen recently, or in years in some cases. This semester I rarely saw anyone if I didn't work with them or have class with them, but seeing many many faces from my past was fun. Mostly. But when you find yourself in those situations, sometimes you are quickly reminded of why you never kept in touch with some people. Like, for instance, the creep who, when he speaks to you, never looks at your face, but stares intently at your chest. I had forgotten that this person does that. I was never a fan of his to begin with, but that little fact about his character had somehow gotten lost in the shuffle of time and I was uncomfortably reminded of this at the party when I got stuck standing next to him. I'm not what anyone would call "busty", and this rarely happens to me. I don't know how other women handle this, but I was mostly doing my best to turn away while shuffling toward the food area under the guise of needing snacks. But, it's uncomfortable to have someone "talk" to you like that and it's especially difficult to stand there and try to be polite and converse with someone who won't look you in the face and never removes their stare from your...person. I mean, I wished I could throw my voice and make it somehow sound like my boobs were talking, but I can't. I don't know how to do that. And, while it's funny to make fun of the situation and laugh about it afterward, if you are someone who does this: you are widely regarded as a creep and women do not want to stand near you or talk to you. Ever. Just so you know.

Switching gears: do people still chat online? Or is it mostly texting now? I haven't had any sort of online chat type software thing for a long time because I don't have continuously-online internet, but I wonder if people still do that, even? I can't imagine having a long conversation via texting, but maybe that's what people do nowadays? Or do they still internet chat? Or maybe they Skype/video chat now? I was just wondering what kids nowadays do. Oh, kids. I guess I'm old enough to consider highschoolers "kids", now. But, I remember chatting online. Much of high school and college was spent hanging out online chatting with people, but I don't think people do that anymore... Maybe the advent of social networking kind of killed online chatting. I remember when I used Yahoo Messenger in high school and a perk of using it was that even if your friend was offline, you could send them a message and they'd get it when they logged on. So you didn't have to sit and lurk waiting for them to hop on the chat thing. I don't remember AIM ever having that feature... but now, I guess that's kind of obsolete. Do highschoolers now even know what "AIM" is? Maybe so. Maybe  they are still in that loop and I just outgrew it. Hmm. I wonder.

I was talking to my dad over the weekend about the website, Pinterest. I think someone who was into psychology or sociology would have a ball analyzing that site. I bet you could write a thesis on self-image just by focusing on the fitness, health and beauty sections of that site. You can look at that and the frequency with which certain topics are pinned or re-pinned and probably make assumptions about society as a whole. Or at least, certain sectors of society. It's kind of depressing. Some of the captions that people put on certain images can make me really disappointed.

Switching gears, again: One month from now I'll be on the plane to Peru! Woot woot.

Also, this is my last week at the museum. This is both exciting and a little sad, too. I'm pretty certain that they need a library person after I leave. I feel very impassioned about this and today I was talking to the IT guy about it and we were conversatin' about my project and what a new library student could do and there is SO much that they can offer a library student in the way of learning opportunities and library kids are great at doing detail-oriented tasks and helping to create access to information and I was getting all excited about it. Finally, Kenyon told me that we would need to just remember this and say it all again at the exit meeting and make sure to hit certain points that we were both getting excited about. Sometimes, me and the museum people weren't always on the same page, but when we are on the same page, it's really fantastic. And today, I felt like we were finally speaking the same language and hopefully that will continue for the rest of my last week there.

2 comments:

  1. 1. You'll have to fill me in on this party of yours.
    2. I love chatting too and will chat anytime! I chat with my friend Anna on gmail chat and used to chat on facebook with my classmates (during class too :). I think a lot of iPhones treat text as a chat.

    See you at lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I use gmail chatting sometimes, but I often sign out of my email and forget that I have to be on there to chat. I don't end up staying on there for very long. Same problem with facebook. I don't like feeling tied to a website. I think that's why I liked yahoo and aim software. They didn't interfere with your web browsing.

    ReplyDelete