Thursday, August 11, 2011

On to the next...

Over the weekend, I saw that movie whose title escapes me right now but which focuses on Scarlett O'Hara. You know? That one? I always blank on the name of that movie... I'd seen it all the way through maybe once before in my life. Both times now I'm struck by how much I dislike Scarlett. And more than once in my life, I've been friends with or at least around women who seem to think of her as their idol and as someone that they they aspire to be. These have been southern women; Texans, mostly. And my only question is, "Why??". Scarlett O'Hara is selfish, unfeeling, whiny, manipulative, and friendless. Why would anyone aspire to be like her? Why don't all these people aspire to be like Melanie whatsherface that marries Ashley? She's southern, too, but she's also nice, caring, forgiving, understanding, loved, and selfless. It baffles my mind why anyone would want to be like Scarlett O'Hara. Aside from being skinny and pretty, she has nothing going for her at all. And I'd hate to believe that the only reason all of these southern women want to be her is because they think she's pretty. Although, I guess if all you can focus on is looks you're fairly near to becoming Scarlett O'Hara, already. Congrats, ladies?

Hey! I was just informed that I've gotten a raise at my graduate assistantship job. Wooooot. I was not expecting that at all.

I've kind of gotten over my overwhelming desire to go to the beach for the moment. Yesterday the weather was gorgeous and so I opened all the windows at home and just relaxed after work. It was nice. It made up for the lack of traveling lately because it was a big change from the previous months' heat.

In sad news, yesterday I noticed for the first time that my neighbors have put their house on the market. This bummed me out a lot. I heart my neighbors. They are fantastic and this is the first time I've ever lived anywhere that I've gotten to know and trust my neighbors. I like them a lot and I'll be very sad to see them go. I don't know where they're planning to move, but I'm hoping its still within the city someplace. They love old houses and they fixed theirs up beautifully. Maybe they're ready for a new old house to fix up. Too bad, though. I hope the family that buys the house are as nice as this family has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment