Saturday, August 20, 2011

A musical Saturday night!

I'm sitting at home with my dad's portable internets awaiting the storms and monitoring the 'hey, it's rainin' in my house!' sitch. So, while I'm sitting here, I've been checking out youtube music videos. Sunday Funday (remember that tradition, old loyal reader[s]?) has long since been pushed out of the way, but in homage to that I thought I'd do a Saturday Night Music edition of the ye olde Sunday Funday posts on this here blog.


This is one of the songs off of Mat Kearney's new album, "Young Love" that came out this month. It's super catchy (not just this song, the entire album). I think this year has delivered some amazing albums like Adele's latest and Ha Ha Tonka's latest, and I think Mat's "Young Love" is another home run for music in 2011. He's fantastic and he does an AMAZING cover of Springsteen's "Dancing in the Dark" that I shared on here many moons ago (not on this new album).



Oh, Brett Dennen, you goofball, you write a good song. And when a super tall, awkwardly-dancing redhead has the nerve to stand on stage shouting 'that's my dog', you just have to support him. I like this song a lot and it persuaded me to buy his latest album "Loverboy". This is the official video for "Comeback Kid (That's My Dog)".



This is the (unverified) number one piano bar request in the USA. The Temptations with "Ain't Too Proud to Beg". Sing it! You know you know this song! Or at least you will after just a couple of listens!



I'm not a big country fan, but I do listen to it now and again. Lady Antebellum are the country group that defied death by hesitating to take the stage at that one state fair where the stage recently collapsed and killed a handful of spectators. (Remember that story?) This is them singing a really beautiful song called "Just a Kiss". I actually like the video a lot, too. It's very travel-y, which is always a win.



Greg Laswell is a singer-songwriter in the same vein as Matt Kearney and Andrew Belle. I just recently came across some of his songs and have liked them. Here's one called "Salvation Dear". If you like Elijah Wood (which I don't, he creeps me out), you should watch one of Laswell's music videos because E. Wood and features prominently in the video. I happen to like the song a lot but couldn't bring myself to feature a video that has E. Wood in it on my blog.



This is a fantastic song to end the blog with. Everybody get dancey with The Isley Brothers! How can you not bounce around and be smiley when you hear this?! It's like trying to keep your eyes open when you sneeze, it just can't be done.

Happy Saturday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment