
I was reading about hundreds of badass women in India who have taken the law into their own hands. They're known as the Pink Gang because of the bright pink saris they wear and they wield sticks and attack men who abuse their wives and abandon their families. They also take on community leaders who are corrupt and attempt to cheat the families in the uber poor area. They stop child marriages and are trying to get women to learn to read and do math and learn to support themselves so that they aren't so dependent on men. It's pretty awesome at the face of it, but when I was reading an article about the founder of the Pink Gang, it's almost like she's gone so far over the edge of role reversal that she's become abusive herself. It said that her husband is basically mute and doesn't feel comfortable voicing his opinion and the women will harass anybody who doesn't give the founder the respect that she feels she deserves. I'm all for stopping domestic violence and child marriage and corrupt business practices, and if the police won't do it, then it does have to be taken on by the citizens... but there's a fine line between doling out justice to those who deserve it and actually turning into an all-out abuser, yourself. The article was a couple of years old, and it sounds like the Pink Gang are continually growing and making pretty big strides toward getting more national (and international) coverage regarding the plight of women in India, so that's good. If you've never seen the movie, "Water", I highly recommend it. It's a foreign film about widows in India. Pretty interesting and good movie. (Not a happy one, though, just fyi.)
As a woman, these are a few things I'd personally like to see in the world:
- A little less Britney Spears and Fergie; a little more Adele and A Fine Frenzy.
- I'd like to read a book with a female lead in which the plot doesn't center around marriage, finding a boyfriend, being a nanny or secretary, vampires, and/or the jealousy and cattiness of other women.
- Could we at least attempt to move closer to the equal pay for equal work scenario? At least make some steps? The three lowest paid career paths that require higher education are teachers, social workers and librarians. All three are known as traditionally female career paths (despite the growing number of men in the fields) and are overwhelmingly taken for granted in the U.S. Those three fields have huge impacts on all ages, but especially the youngest citizens of our country. Can you imagine what it would be like if all workers in those three fields went on strike? A little more respect and pay equal to what other higher ed grads make wouldn't be remiss.
- On the fashion front: more cute flat shoes for chicks with big ole feet. I can't walk in heels...I can only teeter totter on them. Also, keep the pretty clothes coming! I like the feminine, flowy sun dress trends I'm seeing in the stores lately for Spring and Summer. Bravo! No more teeny mini skirts that you can't sit down in.
Happy Ladies Day. Stay classy.
No comments:
Post a Comment