Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Sights to behold.

Check out some of the sights I've been seeing lately. It's been a good several days of 'Ohh, look at what somebody did?! How cooooool.' And thinking that the people who do such things make me happy and also make me wish that I knew them and could hang out with them because I bet we'd get along.

These first four dandies are from near my work. Here's the background: Once upon a time, there was a parking lot that students used that was located very near to campus. Not so long ago, unbeknownst to (mostly) everyone, folks came and tore up that parking lot and began to build a building. According to a little billboard the kind folks have posted, the new building will include condos and some sort of shoppy-shops. They've been constructing for months now. And about six weeks ago, they decided to put up a little walkway over the sidewalk, which was considerate since they might drop something on us as we wander past. Anyway, this sad little walkway just sat there for weeks and weeks, a woeful hallway of plywood and steel that we all had to wander quickly through and that kind of caused us to walk closer to each other than anybody is truly comfy with... And then, one day a music promoter decided to staple a music poster to a few of the areas of the temporary sidewalk. And we liked it. And soon others followed suit and it became a bulletin board/sidewalk combo. Then, last week, someone came and did the most awesome thing ever. They  put graffiti on the sidewalk walls with super sweet slogans. See here:

Be happy.

Let your light shine.

Think positive.

Let the love in your heart rule your life.

I think that last one is my favorite. So nice! That has made us a lot more comfortable going through the temporary sidewalk, let me tell you. Suddenly we're all kind of happy to be walking through it, uncomfortably smooshed together or not.

So, there was that last week. And then over the weekend while chilling out in St. Louis, I saw this super fantastic sight!:

Benton Park neighborhood has their own free little library on the sidewalk!
Aside from assorted other cool features of this 'hood, I think this is reason enough to live here, pronto. 
The weekend was really nice because there was no special event going on. Nothing to have to pack for,  nothing to have to make it in time for, nothing to do but relax and explore and visit with good people. It was probably one of the most relaxing trips to St. Louis I've ever had. It was great. I returned home on Sunday, not feeling exhausted and like I didn't get a weekend at all, but rather like I had a great weekend and spent it fantastically and was as ready to face the work week as I would have been had I stayed at home in my jammies all weekend watching Gilmore Girls re-runs...which I have been doing on the evenings of this week. Good show. I still miss it. And feel more certain than ever that Rory's best boyfriend was Jess and that Dean and Logan were both total putzes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment