Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Up in here, up in here.

This morning when everyone was heading to work on campus, there was a bit of excitement when a steer got loose and began running through campus and downtown. It had jumped the fence from a slaughterhouse and was trying to be free, I guess. It did get to run free for about an hour and see campus and some of downtown. Police, Vet School staff, and the owner were all running around trying to catch it, but when it ran over one of the people trying to catch it outside of a parking garage, I think they probably decided they had to kill it before it hurt anybody else. The animal actually got away for a while but it came back and they killed it in a backyard near campus. I decided to go into work early today and so I missed out on the entire thing. It would have been going on when I would have been normally trying to walk through campus to work. I was glad to miss it. As a general rule of life, I prefer to steer (ahaha, see what I did there?) clear of animals that weigh over a ton when they're scared and wandering around in unfamiliar places.

I'm trying my hand at making my own artwork. I found some canvases on sale at Joann's Fabrics and bought some cheapo acrylic paint. It's not worked out quite as I had hoped, but it's going to be okay. I've got only one canvas mostly done right now. It's got the final line from an e. e. cummings poem on it. It just reads "I carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)" and it should add some nice color to whichever room it ends up in. It's not too large. I have one larger canvas and one that's the same size as this first one. I'm debating the next verses or lines to put on the other canvases. A proverb? Another line from a poem? A song lyric? A quote? Not too sure yet. When I get all three finished, I might share them on here. It's not been as easy as I had hoped it would be because I thought that scrapbook stickers of the alphabet would stick to the canvas rather easily. Then I'd just paint it, let it dry, and peel the stickers off and voila! The words would be perfectly visible and beautiful and what not. Oh, silly Jill. It didn't work like that at all. The stickers didn't stick very well and kept moving when I'd paint over them. Then when I would get the paint on them, they wouldn't peel off after the paint dried. So, the first one is actually okay-looking, but not exactly crisp and perfect. It's sort of crooked and stuff. It really wouldn't be a craft by me if it had come out all perfect, though. Everything looks so easy on Pinterest, you know? All those super crafty people making super duper crafts all the time.

I only have a couple of days left of my job. I've been slowly moving things around and cleaning up this and that. I'm only moving across the building, but I hadn't realized how much stuff I had put all over my cubicle in just the 18 months that I've been working at this position. This morning, when cleaning out a drawer, I found 4 mix cds that I brought in the first month that I worked there. I had completely forgotten about them. After listening to a couple of them, I was reminded of some of the songs I was digging 18 months ago. Lots of cheery, upbeat songs that were great for cubicle cleaning and chair dancing this morning. So, thanks to my past self of a year or so ago when I dumped those cds in that drawer and promptly forgot about them until my present day self re-discovered them!

I'm waiting for the fourth game of the NBA Finals to come on tv tonight. I'm not a fan of the tv scheduling that they're doing. I don't like that the weekday games begin at 8. I can't stay up til 10 to see the end of the games. I'm an early-to-bed person now. I usually just make it to halftime and then find out the result the next morning. I'd really like the Thunder to win. It's kind of frustrating to go to bed at halftime with them ahead and then wake up in the morning and hear that they lost it. Boo.
C'mon Durant and fellow Thundery people! I need to keep my mind for a wee bit longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment