I've been watching the Euro Cup, too! It's been cool to see the teams playing and the fans cheering and the cities that they're playing in, as well. The Irish fans have made headlines for being awesome, while their actual soccer team has made headlines for being terrible. But, I was impressed by the Irish fans who sang during the entire second half of yesterday's match against Spain. They lost the game 4-0, and it probably could have been worse than that, but the fans were singing and cheering like they were winning. It was really kind of inspiring and beautiful. They were singing an Irish folk song called "Fields of Athenry"; it was really beautiful to hear it in the stadium yesterday. While the English commentators did not stop talking during the match, I heard that on the German and French broadcasts, the commentators did stop and just let the television viewers hear the Irish fans sing for several minutes. This is just a video from someone who was in the press box at the game in Gdansk, Poland.
Interesting personal sidenote about Gdansk: My family hails from there. Along one side, my family comes from the Dingle Peninsula in Ireland (County Kerry), but mostly, we're Prussian, and came from Danzig/Gdansk. My college roommate went home to Ukraine once and made a point to go to to Poland and see Gdansk and take pictures to bring back and show me. I knew it was a pretty city, but I've enjoyed seeing it on tv through this Euro Cup, too! Both Ireland and Poland are on my short list of places to visit.
![]() |
| Tralee, County Kerry, Ireland. Yay for color! |
![]() |
| Gdansk at night. Pretty! |
Sometimes, when you see the cities and regions that your family comes from, you wonder how bad it really had to be for them to leave there and come to wherever you've ended up, you know? Like, why would someone leave a place like Gdansk that's beautiful and has a beach and seaport, and come to the USA and go to the middle of the country where there's no seaport within hundreds of miles? In my family's case, like a lot of others, it had to do with religion. So, boom. Next thing you know, the family has moved to Protestant-friendly middle America. I recently learned that Omaha is where my family first settled because there was a big Bohemian settlement in Omaha back in the day, so they were able to keep ties to their home culture and community (but practice Luther's teachings without being chased about and killed). I only really learned this because I decided to go to Omaha for the London Olympics Swim Trials and when I mentioned it to my Dad, he said that Omaha was where the family initially settled. I had no idea Nebraska was a part of anything in my family. I don't know if I just didn't pay attention when people talked about it or what, but anyway, while it's not the reason I'm going, I'm going to snoop around and see what I can find about the old part of the city and see what's what. The vacation bug has gotten me pretty badly lately and I'm getting antsy to get going. I've been looking forward to the Trials for months now. I love all things Olympics and this is the closest I've ever gotten to actually going to the Olympics. There are swim trials in the morning (mostly the prelims and some semi-finals) and then they do the prime time stuff in the evening like you would see on tv. So, I have the middle of the day between sessions to explore Omaha and see what's what.
Ireland is a different story. The family didn't have to leave Ireland because of religion, but rather because they couldn't behave themselves. They managed to piss off everyone by fighting a lot. You can only be kicked out of various places so many times before your reputation precedes you and people start to not want you around. They managed to get themselves kicked out of Ireland and then Scotland and then Ireland again, and finally just had to come to America. The family has enough of a reputation still that when my cousin went to the British Isles a few years ago and was visiting a family in Scotland, and he mentioned the family that we come from, the older woman took his knife away and said nobody who came from that family was allowed to have a knife in her house. I don't think she gave it back, either. He had to eat knife-less. From what I've heard, I gather they were still kind of into the rough stuff here and were involved in the Irish gangs in St. Louis in the early 1900s. Somehow, somewhere along the line one of those Bohemian Lutherans took a liking to an Irish Hooligan (or Hooliganess?) and here my family is today! But, still, I think both Gdansk and the Dingle Peninsula are much more picturesque than central Missouri... I would go back and happily live in either place, I think.


No comments:
Post a Comment