Some people just should not be in jobs where they have to work with other people. Especially greeting people at a front desk. If you have no clearly apparent amiable qualities to your character, being a receptionist is not a good fit. I had a run-in with one such person earlier on a trip to City Hall. First of all, she kept calling me Jennifer despite my telling her what my name was three times. Secondly, she needed an attitude adjustment along with a face that didn't frown so much. And thirdly, I had to wonder how in the hell she got this job? I don't remember her being there the last time I was there, but she might have been. I vaguely remember feeling like the person I talked to was in no way competent when I turned in my tax receipt earlier this year. I have a feeling it's the same person I dealt with this morning. She definitely wasn't there last year, so I think perhaps she came in with the new mayor. I have to assume she's a friend of his somehow, because she certainly doesn't have the personality for this position. Boo to that. Bring back the old mayor's receptionist! The old receptionist always knew how to take a message, how to write down a person's name when they showed up, knew when someone would be in, knew the processes for things, etc. The one they have now seems to know how to do nothing except look at you and speak like you're wasting her precious time. I had to bite my tongue and go sit where I couldn't see her to keep from letting this fool know exactly what I thought of her. I didn't even bother to notice her name. I hope she's on the way out.
This morning Beatrix took my ring off the bathroom counter and threw it down the furnace grate. I managed to find the screwdriver and get the ring back before I had to go deal with the rude receptionist. I've also managed to mess up something at work today. Boo. It will get better, I'm sure. All good things must return at some point.
Like, maybe a Triple Crown winner this year? I saw the movie Secretariat last night and it was pretty good. I love horse racing movies, usually. It generally makes me wish I was involved in horse training. I like horses. Secretariat won the Triple Crown on June 9th, the same day that this year's Belmont Stakes will be run. I don't know if this horse will actually be able to do anything. Secretariat had the benefit of a) being a phenomenally awesome horse and b) having a lot of his competitors drop out of the race. Secretariat had to run against only 4 other horses in the Belmont Stakes. I'll Have Another will probably be facing 10 other horses, so far, in his run on Saturday. I think usually Belmont is a smaller field than the other two races, which is good. And, hopefully, I'll Have Another's race doesn't go the way of Big Brown's race several years ago. That was kind of sad having the Triple Crown contender come in last because of a shoe problem.
Are you going to see Venus this evening/afternoon? The observatory on campus is having a free deal this evening so I'm going to go after work and look through the high-falutin' telescope to see it. I haven't been to the observatory since I was little, so I'm kind of excited about it. I always forget the observatory is here on campus because I'm rarely here at night, but it's cool that there's one nearby. I need to take better advantage of things like that. I'm thinking of possibly taking better advantage of things on campus now that I'll be a full-time employee soon. They have some interesting classes at the rec center, like hula and stuff. I might try it out next semester. Actually, I'm excited to try out the rec center again because I'm interested in having access to a pool again. Especially during the summer while it's quieter around here. Yay, pool.
No comments:
Post a Comment