Wednesday, June 6, 2012

G'night.

Tomorrow is a going-away snack day at work for a co-worker of mine. She told me her favorite kind of cookie were snickerdoodles, so I decided I would make her a giant snickerdoodle. I've never made a giant cookie before, but I figured it was pretty easy peasy. It was. The difficult thing is trying not to eat it once you've made it. Because, unlike when you bake regular cookies, folks are gonna notice if you eat any part of a giant cookie. It smells really good in my house right now, just so you know. Next time I'm going to bake a giant cookie and keep a little bit to the side to make a couple of regular sized cookies for me to eat when I'm done. Oh, the torture.

What else? I have barely two weeks until my vacation. It's worked out perfectly in that I will be able to take my vacation and then come back and begin my new position at work afterward. This is great. There was only a little bit of doubt/apprehension about whether I would be paid for my vacation time or not. Never fear, though. It has all worked out. I've got a lot to do between now and then to fully closeout the Civil War grant, but I think it can be done. I've been working pretty hard at it this week so far and it's going to be okay. It's exciting to see this project to the end. I feel like I was a real part of something. And I learned a lot, too. Yay for that. There is a lot of stuff happening or beginning to happen. This has the potential to be a good summer!

I haven't worked out in a gym in a while. I got my notice from the health plex that my membership is about to end. I'm going to try out the rec center like I mentioned in my last post, but until I do that, I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do. But, today during lunch I went and walked 3/4 of a mile around a track on campus and that felt nice. As long as it doesn't get miserably hot, I might try to do that a few times a week. It's not crowded on the track. In fact, it's pretty slow still on campus everywhere, although summer school has begun. It's a nice slow, calm version of campus life. Students are on campus, but it's pretty laid back. Summer school always has that kind of laid back vibe. I like it.

I went and saw Venus crossing the sun yesterday evening. I waited in line for about half an hour to climb up on a ladder and look through the viewfinder of the giant telescope. I couldn't see anything at first, but I finally got my head moved to where I could actually see it. I think the observatory would be really fun to go to at night. I'm sure the staff point out the constellations and things that are visible when you go. I'm going to put that on my list of things to do on campus.

I think the giant cookie might have cooled enough for me to move it from the pan to the awaiting plate now. Beatrix has settled herself on my lap, and I think she's telling me it's time for bed. Her nails need clipping, but I hate to do that. I feel like they should be able to take care of that sort of thing on their own. So far, she's done a pretty good job of it. Bea had the chance to run away last weekend. She got out on the back deck and actually jumped off of it (from one story above the ground). It was only a little scary for me to realize how easily she could have run away. I was out on the deck, but not prepared to have to herd a cat back inside after it jumped off the deck. Bea was kind of freaked out and sat in a corner under the deck crying for me to come and get her. She pretty confident in her outdoorsy-skills because from the comfort of her windows, she's queen of the wild. She's sort of like me with the giant cookie. I'm queen of the giant cookie at the moment, feeling pretty certain that I could eat that much awesomeness just fine. If I started to eat it I'd soon get to feeling kind of sick and not so sure of  myself and I'd be overwhelmed by the fact that I'd have to bake yet another cookie for the co-worker after clearly eating most of hers, and here it is going on 10 pm and I'm tired and blah blah blah, I'm actually a giant cookie wimp. In Bea's case, she's got the idea that she would be an awesome outdoor cat (at least in the backyard), but once she's actually out in it, she's no longer so certain that she's made for stomping through grass and chasing birds. She'd rather flop on a carpet and be fed at regular intervals.

So we go on in our own little ways. I hope your own little way is going well, too. I'll leave you now to whatever it is you're doing tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment