Sunday, October 23, 2011

Mid-comps musings.

I am in the middle of my Master's comprehensive exams right now. Things are going okay. When the questions were released yesterday morning and I saw them, I was pretty happy with them. I feel secure in the knowledge that I can get the needed grade for these questions and graduate. I have two secondary drafts done and a list of sources mostly compiled for the final two. It's not bad. This is exactly what I wanted. I chose this program all those years ago because of the fact that they offered a comp exam option instead of a thesis. I am not a person that enjoys theses. I have a theory that people who choose to get a grad degree fall into either a thesis group or a comp exam group. I am definitely the latter. I think I have some fellow students who fall into the former, based on the panic levels screaming from posts on the online discussion boards for these exams. I understand the feeling though. I had to a thesis for my history undergrad degree and it nearly gave me a panic attack. It wasn't even as rigorous as a graduate level thesis would be and I was exhausted from it. No, no. Give me a test any day instead of a semesters worth of meetings and readings and planning with committees, etc. I pity the fool that has to go the thesis route.

Still. Comps are not all glitter and rainbows. The weather is beautiful right now (70s in late October, areyoukiddingme?) and it's making it rough to focus on comps. I would much rather be doing something like this:

I feel like I'm definitely more of a porch swing sort of human rather than a hammock sort of human. Granted, I haven't had a lot of hammock experience, but the few times I've tried one out, it's been totally uncomfortable. This looks absolutely perfect. I could type my comps and read my books right there. I haven't been to a beach in a long time...I think I've mentioned this in recent months... This just looks so enticing. Maybe a coastal librarian job is what I need?

No comments:

Post a Comment