Friday, October 7, 2011

Let the imagination roam free.

Oh, happy Friday!

Today is Cardinals make it or break it day. Game 5 of the NLDS between them and the Philadelphia Phillies. I am so proud of the Cardinals. I was definitely among those who thought our season was done in August. I was prepared to just throw in the towel and prepare for next season and the return of Wainwright, etc. And here we are, still playing in October. I'm so amazed at the way they've turned their season around and I would LOVE to see them continue this amazing run they're on. Even if they lose tonight, I still think this has been amazing, and even if Albert Pujols doesn't return to us next season, this is a great way to go out. Really proud to call them my team and glad to see how relaxed and fun-loving they are right now. The entire last two months have been so odd as far as typical baseball go, that it's been a happy surprise for everyone and the team seems especially happy with themselves. As they should be. Go Redbirds!

I am currently scanning a Civil War diary. There is a lot of downtime when you do scanning work. I've finished reading a book for Children's Lit. I've finished work on a practicum assignment. I've checked my e-mail oodles of times. I should have brought another book with me. Nobody is working today, either. We're not off work on Monday like the state workers are, so it's not a three day weekend for us, but somehow multiple people took today off. It's super quiet except for me and my scanner. Kind of drives me nuts. I would blast some music, but there is a little meeting going on in a room nearby with some donors. Maybe later I can blast some music. Hmm. Or just go home after this scanning work is done. It's awfully beautiful weather we're having lately and I might as well enjoy it while I can.

I've got Watson this weekend. Watching him while Dad goes to St. Louis for a photography class. Watson is on pills now, but he seems to enjoy taking them. At least he does when Dad gives them to him. I'm hoping he keeps his same optimistic outlook when I have to give them to him.

The jobs outlook in the library world has a little blip in it right now. Over 300 jobs are available on just one posting site. This is unexpected. I hope this is becomes a trend rather than a little blip, but for now I'll have to continue calling it a blip. A few are just contract positions, but I'm not turning my nose up at those. I'm pretty much looking at everything on an even playing field. I'll go pretty much anywhere for the right job. And I'll go plenty of cool places for a not-quite-right job. Like England. Or Quebec. Or even coastal New Hampshire or North Carolina. There was a term job listed about a month ago that was very intriguing. It was a term position for an archivist to assist an author in The Hamptons with arranging and processing their personal papers for a memoir. The author was anonymous, but if they're living in The Hamptons and someone wants them to write a memoir, I figured they've made something of themselves and it could be an interesting job. I'd be into doing something like that. Something different, even if it was just a short-term gig. I don't have anything holding me back right now in the form of family commitments, so there are plenty of paths for me to go if I was offered something awesome like that opportunity. I have the house and a needy cat, but I could probably figure something out with those two if I found something like that short-term archivist job. Oh, the imagination runs wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment