Saturday, July 23, 2011

Oh, good. More books!

It's misting outside! Not quite rain, but the closest thing we've had for a while. It's also really sunny and still hot, but a little thunder and some mist are enough to bring hope. I hope my lawn drinks up.

I'm trying to get through my final research paper for my summer class. It's due tomorrow and I present on it Monday evening. It took me a really long time to get a topic chosen. Like, I finally picked one yesterday. So, I'm cutting it a little close, but I think it's still do-able. I'm doing it, anyway.

I finally got my Spotify invite last week. I had to wait until I could get my own computer to an internet hotspot to download the application, but I have it and I like it. I was one of the millions of people who LOVED LaLa and still miss that website a lot. After Apple bought it out and shut it down, I had nothing to really find new music with, but Spotify has the good parts of LaLa built into it. I really like it. I'm still trying to figure out how to bookmark songs without downloading them and stuff. I think you can do it, but I'm still learning. I dig it. To my mind, LaLa was almost perfect in the ways that it allowed you to search for music. I know a lot of people really like ITunes. I'm not one of them. ITunes has never really figured out how to handle the new music and music discovery the way that LaLa and, from what I've seen, Spotify do. I just never have been able to completely get on the Apple bandwagon for a lot of reasons, and one of the big ones is that the few Apple products that I have experience with, I haven't enjoyed using the software or products. I find other things work better for me and I prefer them. However, Apple has come along and bought up a lot of the other things that I enjoy better, which also doesn't help their image to my way of thinking. If they bought out their competitors and then used the technology of the competitors to build a better product, maybe I would come around. But they don't.

I finished another book last night. I have to recommend Karen White's novels. She does a great job of doing historic research and then building a story around it, also using letters and manuscripts around it. A history/librarian's dream, I tell ya. I need to check out more on her books and see if she's written any others, or if she's in the process of writing more. Goodreads.com comes in handy with this type of stuff. For example, a quick search tells me that there are BUNCHES more books of hers that I can read. Fa la la la la, la la la la.

Sweet.

2 comments:

  1. 2 suggestions: Have you tried amazon? They have that "people who bought this also bought" section. Also, have you been on Grooveshark.com? You can make your own playlist of any song at any time and listen! Like pandora only YOU get to choose every song! They might have some suggestion features.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup! I used Grooveshark after lala left. I like it but they don't have a 'new releases' area to try to discover or hear brand new stuff. You've got to be more of a detective, and I get lazy. And amazon is good, too! But Spotify is pretty neat, i just wish it was web-based rather than an app you have on one computer.

    ReplyDelete