Today is the day after America's Independence Day. In my mind, it's known as 'Pick Up Your Neighbor's Firework Trash That's All Over Your Property Day'. I'm not a bah-humbug kind of person when it comes to July 4th. I enjoy a bbq and fireworks and seeing family and friends as much as the next person. But I live in the downtown part of a medium-sized city that outlaws fireworks within the limits of the city. I grew up on the outskirts of town and my family would shoot off fireworks and it was fun, so I understand the desire to do it, especially when you have kids. But, two blocks from my house is the city's huge fireworks display. It's so loud it shakes my home. So, why then, do people in downtown neighborhoods want to go and shoot off their own fireworks after the entire neighborhood has been shaken practically off its foundation? It didn't go too late last night, so I don't really have anything to whine about except that I had a terrified blind cat and a less terrified, but rather surly, 20 pound cat to deal with while everyone was blowing things up around them.
Actually, the 20-pounder really enjoyed watching the fireworks on tv. I had the Boston Pops celebration on and was watching that. The two cats were lying on the rug in front of the tv and Watson (the big one who is my Dad's cat but who I was watching for the evening while Dad was out of town) just stared at the tv during the fireworks portion. He was fascinated by the fireworks. It was interesting to watch him be so intrigued by what was going on. He actually enjoys watching tv. It's kind of funny. He really enjoys cartoons (especially those cute bears that do the toilet paper commercials), and certain sports games. Now, I know he also really enjoys firework shows on tv. Just not in real life when the booms of the explosions are so loud the floor shakes and the other cat goes crazy.
Back to regularly scheduled programming now until Labor Day, huh? Lots of hot weather though, which makes the days seem long and tiring. I'm just not a hot weather person. I'd prefer snow over 95 degree days. Over the weekend I went with Dad to St. Louis for a family reunion and to see the treehouse exhibit at the Missouri Botanical Garden. It was hot, of course, and there was a heat advisory in effect the whole day we wandered all over the gardens, but it wasn't too bad. But the heat will get ya. Maybe not right away, but it'll sneak up on you and knock you down if you don't take it seriously. I drank lots of water, but still was exhausted for a couple of days afterward. It was a good weekend. The family only gets together every so often. It's my mother's side of the family: lots of really wonderful people that I don't know well, but all are very nice and welcoming, regardless. The treehouse exhibit was great too, although different from what I had expected. I thought it would be actual tree houses, but it wasn't. It was more like tree base houses on the floor. Still interesting, though. I really like that place. It's very calm.
No comments:
Post a Comment