I have two hours before class and there's really no reason to go try to work at either job pre-class as one went to summer hours this week and is closed now and the other closes in half an hour and I just got off from doing a consultation for that job. Consultation! I've finally been able to go along with my boss two days this week on the road doing consultations for the Civil War grant project that I'm working on. It's been AWESOME. I'm such a nerd about these things and I have absolutely loved going to these little towns and talking with the people at the historical societies and state parks and historic homes just finding out all the stuff they have, not necessarily pertaining to the Civil War. There have been some good finds in that area, though. Today we went to the historic society in Centralia, which is in a pretty magnificent historic home with the prettiest rose garden I think I've ever seen on the side of it. The rose garden is called "Chance Garden", if you ever find yourself in Centralia. It was pretty. And the house was amazing. Centralia is kind of a cute little town. I've just had a blast seeing parts of the state that I've never seen before. Such cute little towns and such sweet people. And my museum side is getting to come out a little bit too. We went to Arrow Rock on Monday and they are more focused on earlier state history, but they let us dig through some files in their basement and I got totally distracted by their storage areas of saddles and rope beds and a loom and antique furniture and just oodles and oodles of stuff. I love stuff. I get such a warm, fuzzy feeling looking at old stuff. Not necessarily old papers, I prefer the stuff. Anyway, I'll get to keep doing this consultation work for a few more days, I hope.
Elsewise (hmm, is that a word?), I got a call that the mole taken off my face last week is NOT cancerous. Woot, woot. They weren't confident that it was cancer, but I'm glad to have the test results say for sure. I got the stitches out yesterday (another Woot) and had a nurse tell me guidelines for how to take care of the healing and then she left the room and the doctor came in a few minutes later, looked at it, and told me to do the exact opposite of what the nurse said. I decided to go with the doctor, but I'm not certain that there's not a communication/training issue in that particular office. Whatever. I don't have to go back. The doctor said that my face will take a year to heal completely, and if I don't like how it looks, I can come back and they'll fix it. I can't imagine going back. No matter how it heals, I'll just live with it. It's not going to be ghastly or anything, and I really hated having to wear a band-aid because the adhesive was super irritating to my face.
Aaaand, this week marked the return to school. I'm in a class that is field trip heavy, which is good. It will help make me feel better about not taking a vacation this summer. Between the consultations and the field trips, my lack of travel won't feel so bad. There are just seven of us in the class and we're going to 13 special libraries around central Missouri. The one that garnered the most excitement when it was announced was going in to see the library in the maximum security prison in JC. It's funny how many people really want to go into a prison...as long as you're free to leave when you want, that is. So, we're all really looking forward to going to prison in a couple of weeks. Other than that, we're hitting the places I've worked already, and some places I'd never thought of as special libraries. Like tonight, is a medical library at the university hospital. And we're going to go back up to Fulton for the Winston Churchill Memorial and Library, which I had written about in an earlier post and I really loved it there. That should be exciting, too.
Lastly, I totally felt an earthquake early Tuesday morning! It was at about 3 am and it woke me up. My bed was shaking for about 10 seconds and it was actually totally cool. There happened to be a helicopter going over my house at the same time and that's what I convinced myself it was at first. Like, maybe the pilot was really low and it was shaking my house (which, granted, never happens, but in my just-woken state I convinced myself it couldn't have been an earthquake). And then later that day I saw the news bulletin about the 4.whatever earthquake that hit just West of St. Louis and that was TOTALLY what I felt! That's my first earthquake. It was pretty neat, but I wouldn't want to be in one that was much stronger than that.
No comments:
Post a Comment