Good morning, world.
I saw 6 AM this weekend for the first time in a loooong time. And when I say i saw it, I mean, I was out in it. I haven't been up and out the door at that time in years. It was to go garage sale-ing with a buddy around town. Lesson that we learned was that JC garage sales are mostly for kid clothes, not really that much awesome finds to be found. Although, if I had been looking for furniture, I would have scored some pretty sweet deals. There were two really well made wooden throne and wing back chairs with bright orange velvet upholstery in really great condition at one house and they wanted 10 bucks apiece for them. Another place had one of those old time Frigidaire refrigerators that was working really well for 50 bucks. I ended up with a fifty cent video tape of "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and a 1.00 single record of the Beatles "Day Tripper" and "We Can Work It Out". It's a little scratchy, but definitely a good deal for a buck. And it was fun to go garage saleing. Worth getting up and seeing 6 am again. JC was dead silent at 6 am on a drizzly Saturday, it was kind of cool. I've been thinking a lot about what I'm going to do when I move away and I really am kind of into the idea of just selling off a lot of my furniture and just keeping a few things and buying new/new to me things wherever I end up. Garage sale-ing seems like a good idea for furniture shopping maybe... We'll see.
Have you seen those shows on tv where it's somebody buying their first house? Or even just people buying a house at all, not necessarily their first one? I see the shows when I visit my Dad's house sometimes, and yesterday I saw one episode and it struck me how happy I am to have been able to buy a house by myself and not have had to worry about what another person wanted or thought about it or anything. I shopped for a home for me, and me only, and I was able to get exactly what I wanted. And I think it will always be something that I'm really really happy I did. I don't plan to buy another house when I move away. I'll probably do the apartment/rental thing again until I'm more settled. But, I'm really really glad that I did this now, before marriage and a family. It's my own place and I can do whatever I want with it. I think it will make it easier for me to compromise on living spaces down the road, because I've had my own place, and it was perfect for me. I don't expect to ever find a place like it again, and I'll always remember it as mine and nobody else's and I think I need that kind of thing. I have a really independent nature and it's almost critical to me to know that I can do things on my own. And when I'm older and look back at this time, just knowing that I did own this perfect little house for me and it was mine for a while is going to make me really content about wherever I might live in the future. I'm really glad I took the plunge and did the house thing on my own. I had friends at the time who thought I was nuts and who said they'd never buy a house when they were single, but I know that it was exactly the right thing for me to do and that I had to purchase a house when I was single. Renting an apartment or a house on my own wasn't enough. I had to buy one on my own and know without a doubt that I could do it without being married. It's one of those weird quirks people have, I guess.
Today I get to do my first ever solo consultation. It's this afternoon and I'm excited about it. I dressed up for the occasion and have on a fancier headband than I normally wear (I've taken to wearing headbands because my hair is in an awkward length phase and if I don't do something with it, I'll chop it all off again) and the fancy headband is making my head ache. And I thought it might when I put it on this morning and for a split second, I thought to myself, "Maybe take one that you know doesn't hurt so you can put it on later...", and then I went "Naaaaw." and left the house. Now here I sit, barely two hours later and I wish I had that other headband. Go with your gut instinct. I know I should, I don't know why I second-guess it so often.
Dad's Day was yesterday. It was a good time. We went to the local brewery and sat outside and it was nice. Plus, both USA Men's soccer team And the Cardinals won yesterday, which was a nice addition to the day. I take Iris over to Dad's house on holidays, and yesterday counted as a holiday. She threw up big time on Dad's white carpet. She's such a kooky animal, but it's kind of predictable kookiness sometimes. She'll gorge herself on food and then walk a little bit and it's kind of obvious that she's going to barf it all back up. And Dad does his best to make sure she has a little litter pan of her own and she tries really hard to use it correctly, but it doesn't ever work 100%. She's got a knack for always doing something that makes things a bit more complicated. For instance, she used the litter pan correctly and then tried to bury it (which was a nice surprise as she usually doesn't do that, either) and threw all the litter down the a/c vent. It's easy to be frustrated with Iris, but if Iris gets something 75% right, that's about the best she can do. She lost so much development when she was a baby from being so sick that she's just always behind the rest of the cat population on learning ordinary cat-ness. Watson's done all he can and has basically washed his paws of the whole thing. She'll sit next to him and stare at the ceiling and twirls her head from side to side trying to figure out where the noises she's hearing comes from, and Watson lets her do it about 10 seconds and then he'll reach out and smack her. It's hilarious.
No comments:
Post a Comment