I've been doing a lot of thinking lately. To be fair, I consider myself to be one of those people are are in their own head a lot, but I don't necessarily share the thoughts much. Lately, I've been having idea after idea after idea and contemplation after contemplation. Much quicker than usual. Not really about much that probably matters. Just general things.
Like, why isn't there a master's degree program on random facts? Like, a jeopardy sort of degree? I think I'd really like that.
And, I wonder if "waffle" the noun is kind of peeved at "waffle" the verb for sort of bringing down the awesomeness of the word.
Also, I think going to see the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah would be really awesome. I'd like to take a road trip for about a month all across the US and just see what I can see. It would be really nice.
Sometimes, I pretend like I'm meeting some of the fruit serving requirements of that day when I get a Cherry Coke at a restaurant.
This morning I thought I'd cut one of my old sweatshirts and try to give it a new life as something kind of cooler than it is. It's a hand-me-down from the daughter of one of my parent's friends that was given to me when I was about 12. It's a Hard Rock Cafe-Dallas sweatshirt and it's big and warm and fuzzy and I've really liked it. My craftiness went quite wrong this morning. I cut the neck hole too big. Like, way too big. It falls off of me now and puddles around my elbows, and that's only because I stuck my arms out to keep it from falling lower. This sweatshirt is no longer able to be worn by me and that makes me sad. I am not a voluptuous person. I'm about as far from voluptuous as a person can be, actually, but it would be really cute on a larger girl, I think. One whose body can actually fill it.
My oldest friend (in length of friendship, not age) is getting married this year and I've been a sounding board for some of her ideas about where to get married, etc. I haven't really paid any attention to wedding stuff in a while. Last year, I didn't have anything to do with the planning of Oxi's wedding. I think Damiano and his family were mostly concerned with the wedding plans. I mainly focused on the trip and frankly, didn't have a clue that I was going to be participating in the service itself until about 10 minutes before the ceremony when I was standing outside the chapel with Damiano's sister telling me about a cloth that I needed to put under their feet at a certain point in the service and also (surprise) I would be sitting by Oxi at the altar through the whole thing. So, this is the first time in a few years that I've been looking at actual bridal sites and brushing up on the wedding industry and their massive amounts of "stuff" that they say all couples need for that one day. I don't know. I have a really hard time looking at wedding websites and seeing the wedding. All I see are things and stuff and gowns and hair updos and decorations. I love the cake part of it all, but I'm still just not sure that it's not all a little backward. I understand the desire to celebrate a marriage and I'm not a cynic. I do know that marriages can work and I've seen for myself that there are plenty of happily married couples out there. A wedding is really about two people and that's it. Whether or not there is a limo or enormous amounts of flowers or a giant cake or a lot of bridesmaids/groomsmen or whatever doesn't really matter and I don't think people remember those things anyway. But, I will hand it to the wedding industry for making a killing off of all the "stuff". Those folks sure know how to peddle a wedding.
Lots of jobs have been coming down the pipeline for librarians and archivists lately. There are some pretty awesome opportunities out there right now. One amazing job came down today through the University of Arizona to be an archivist/librarian at their awesome photography library. I've never been to Tucson, but I know I'm not a hot weather person. Still. The job itself is pretty awesome and I could probably spend a few years sweating every day if I got to work with Ansel Adams photographs. My dad pointed me to a website called Find Your Spot where you answer some questions about your lifestyle and what you'd like in a place to live and it gives you a list of cities that match your criteria. I took it and got a lot of cities in Oregon, so I've been looking at jobs up there just to see what's what. Not bad. I always wanted to live in Chicago, but Chicago has very little to offer lately in terms of jobs. There was a cool job about a month ago, but very little else. After this winter, I'm re-thinking Chicago anyway. Still, I'm hopeful that the number of interesting jobs only continues to rise so that when I'm ready to start applying, there won't be just duds out there.
I had really wanted to get a lot of work done today at the museum. It's kind of working, but kind of not. Clearly.
Also (I swear, I'll stop yammering after this), Ha Ha Tonka's new album "Death of a Decade" is out today. Go, listen!
No comments:
Post a Comment