I am one of the billions of people who got up to watch the royal wedding. I'm not a fanatic of the royals. I didn't know who most of them were when the camera kept honing in on some of them. I mean, I recognized the main players: the Queen and her hubby, Prince Chuck and his wife, and the two princes, obviously. But after that, I'm out. I wasn't going to get up and watch it, but two things happened: enough people talked about it that I got interested in it and I don't work on Fridays, so getting up/staying up that late didn't matter since I could spend the entire day catching up on sleep. Plus, I wouldn't have watched it if I hadn't been up to see it as it occurred. I don't record things. I don't have DVR and I wouldn't have sat in front of the computer long enough to watch a video of it on the web. It was interesting. I'm glad I got up and watched it. I'm also glad it's over. I do have to say though: I find the Queen of England absolutely adorable. She always looks so cute in her little outfits with a matching hat. British people have the hat thing down. Even those who kind of bombed fashion-wise, I admired them for wearing hats. I wish more Americans wore hats. It's a fashion statement that is so ignored over here and that's a shame. But now that it's all over, maybe we can stop being inundated by trivial news about these people and just let them go off and do their own thing. That'd be swell. I feel bad for people who are hounded by newsies not because of their actions, but because of what family they were born into. It's crazy and always seems to be really isolating and confining. It's better to be ordinary, because as Margaret Atwood says: "We were the people who were not in the papers. We lived in the blank white spaces at the edge of print. It gave us more freedom."
I'm in the process of growing my hair out again. I've had short pixie-ish hair for two years now and I'm bored of it. I've tried to grow it out before and got so frustrated that I ended up chopping it off again. Super short hair is so easy to handle, and I feel like it suits my personality better than long hair, but I get bored of not really having much versatility with the look. I don't particularly enjoy long hair, but you can do more with it. I have a lot of hair (a. lot.) and, even when it's super short, it can get really hot in the summer. I'm not looking forward to that at all. But I want longer hair when I go to Peru in December. I want to be able to pull it back and put it up when I'm climbing around the Andes. So, there will be no chopping it off this time around. I have 8 months to get long enough hair for a ponytail at least. Although my hair grows fast, even this might be asking a bit too much. My only issue about this whole thing is this: I'm going to be a librarian and I really don't want some uber-conservative blah kind of librarian haircut (no offense to those who do...). Librarians already face so many stereotypes about being mousy and boring and quiet and whatnot, I want something still sort of edgy... I can be mousy and quiet, but I am also a punk sometimes and I'd prefer my hair show off the (s)punky part of my personality. Okay, so that's not really my only issue. I was looking through older pictures of me when I had longer hair versus more recent pictures of me:

I hardly recognize the girl with the long hair any more. The girl in the bottom picture is so very different from the girl in the top picture and there's only about 4 years between them. I'm having more concerns about growing my hair out than I had about cutting it all off. I cut it off because I didn't want to be the girl in the top picture any more and, now, growing my hair back out almost seems like telling myself I'd be fine with returning to my old self...but I'm not okay with that. I like the person I've become and I know a hairdo doesn't really change that, but for whatever reason, it seems to have more meaning to myself than I'd like. Too much has happened between the top picture and the bottom one for me to ever really end up even remotely the same as the long-haired girl again even if I did somehow get so busy I never made it to get my hair cut and it ended up that long again (that will not happen). I am sold on the idea of growing my hair back out. I just have a lot of caveats (baggage) with it. Luckily, I have a very understanding and patient friend in my hairstylist...although this might test it...
No comments:
Post a Comment