1) Hurricane Isaac made landfall in Louisiana today, seven years (to the day) that Katrina hit. Now, you know all these people have been through this sort of thing before. They live on the coast. Hurricanes happen. I understand that some people don't like to evacuate or be extra pre-cautionary. They don't want their houses left unattended. They don't think the storm will be that bad. They think they can handle it, because, you know, they're Gulf people. They don't let a storm scare them away when they can, instead, throw a Hurricane Party with their nearest and dearest and all get stuck in the floodwaters. I mean, after Katrina, you'd think they'd learn to get the hell out of Dodge when you see this whirling, swirling storm plodding across the Gulf of Mexico toward you. But, nooooo. Let's just 'ride it out' in our little dog-run house we own here right on the shore, outside of the levee system. Yeah, that sounds like a great plan. Now, I would feel more sympathy for these fools getting picked up off the roof of their houses if it were something like a tornado or an earthquake where there was no warning. But, I live in Missouri and the weather service has issued a special alert for my area since Monday telling us that Isaac will be here this weekend. And he's not going to be much more than a heavy rainstorm by the time he reaches here. We're not having the winds that they get when that puppy made landfall. I just don't understand the thought process that goes into deciding to 'ride out' a Hurricane when you live in a place like southern Louisiana, which is practically underwater on a nice day with a calm sea. It's just stupid. I feel the worst for the animals that you see the National Guard having to rescue. They're so scared. I feel bad that they have such stupid owners.
The people they're interviewing that are being rescued down there are all, 'Those meteorologists got it all wrong! They didn't tell us this was going to hit here!' Bullshit. Get it straight. You've had days to get out of your house and drive inland. The rest of the country saw this thing coming, why didn't you? We heard about it going through Haiti and Cuba and then it was coming straight for Louisiana. Even if you somehow missed the news that Isaac had your town in his sights or you didn't notice that your neighbors were boarding up their windows, everybody knows that when the Weather Channel's Jim Cantore shows up, you have no business being there. When Jim shows up, you need to leave. That's all there is to it.Next up:
2) How many more baseball catchers have to get practically killed on the diamond before the league throws out the rule that the Catcher is fair game for the most mean and nasty tackle you can muster? I am so sick of seeing some baseball player running the bases, KNOWING that they are really out and they are not going to beat the tag at home plate, and they get all their speed and frustration roiling and slam into the opposing catcher, trying to make him drop the ball. This is not football. I don't understand why this rule was ever implemented to begin with. The point of the game is to beat the ball to the base, not throw caution to the wind and decide that you'll just kill the opposing catcher at home plate. For what? A tally on a scoreboard?! Dumb. I saw the ugly hit that Yadier Molina took last night. A friend of mine bought a car and I drove him to pick it up and we went and got dinner and there on the big screen at Buffalo Wild Wings is the Cards game. I was so happy to get to see a game! And within ten minutes, I was livid. There's Yadi, my favorite Cardinal, sprawled out on home plate, after being flattened by a base runner, who ran headlong into him shoulder-first, slamming Yadi in the face. I was glad Yadi actually walked off the field, but then they had to put in the back-up catcher. And now Yadi's out again and they say it's pain to his neck and back from that hit. I don't care if it was a clean or legal hit, it's not right. Buster Posey had that terrible hit last year or the year before that mangled his leg, remember that? Yadi's been knocked out and taken off the field on a stretcher before due to a collision like that. This allowable-tackle rule is stupid. It's just too dangerous. These are not little guys bashing into these catchers. I hate it. They need to throw that rule out. If you leave third base and you're running home, you have the play in front of you. You can see the ball coming, you see the Catcher ready to get the ball and make the tag on you, you can slide, you can dance the hokey-pokey around that bag if you want to, all you have to do is beat the tag. Same as you had to do at first, second, and third bases. The answer is not to tackle the shit out of the catcher in the hopes that he gets knocked out and drops the ball. I think it's disgusting that it's legal to do that. That's really just unsportsmanlike conduct, right there.Lastly, something that made the rounds at work this week, which gave everyone a laugh and forced us to stop ranting about Todd Akin and those like him (his name is still thrown around the research center now and again, though the venom has begun to give way to sarcasm and mockery):
3) I think I've mentioned that my workplace is predominately female. One of my co-workers send this link to our administrative assistant to request that we purchase these pens for our office because 'our dainty feminine hands can't take the torture of writing with the gender-neutral pens we're forced to use.'
I am not all that surprised that a company would assume that women would be foolish enough to buy pens advertised as featuring 'a thin barrel designed to fit a women's hand. It has a diamond engraved barrel for an elegant and unique feminine style.' That's just what women really need in their writing utensils: diamonds. *Girly shriek* Some have purple ink, too!!111! We can't possibly write without a diamond engraved, thin barrel. No wonder my inter-office memos have sucked so much. It's that damned man-hand pen I have. The best part of all of these products on amazon.com are the reviews. Snippets:
"My male co-workers will have no choice but to take me seriously and recognize my work if I constantly write in purple glitter."
"Brilliant - I love these pens! How about a laptop next? It took me 4 hours to write this review as I had to keep running back and forth between each key on my MASSIVE MAN KEYBOARD because I'm a tiny woman."

No comments:
Post a Comment