Thursday, August 9, 2012

I'm living life, do or die, what can I say.

Happy Thursday p.m.! I like Thursday evenings; it's the almost-weekend. Wrapping up the week, reviewing how the week has gone, looking forward to the weekend...all things that Thursday nights can include. This week has been kind of eventful, but mostly all in a good way so far. Monday morning I had car trouble and ended up in the auto repair shop before I went to work. It wasn't a big repair or anything and the shop didn't charge me, so it wasn't a huge deal. But, my car was having a fit about tire pressure and, despite putting air in the tires at two gas stations, the car was still unhappy.

The women's platform diving is on the primetime Olympics right now. This was the event that my friend's friend was competing in, but she didn't make it into the finals. She was in the semi-finals but after watching those dives earlier this evening, neither American diver did very well today. They had trouble entering the water correctly. Neither made it into the finals. Even the Chinese divers are struggling today. Still, major shout-out to anybody that decides to throw themselves off a 10m high platform and expects to live and tell about it.

There was an election this week. As usual, things did not go the way I would like. The thing that made me the most angry (but not surprised) was that my county elected to not support the public library. My fellow citizens don't seem to understand that some taxes are necessary to continue life as they know it. They don't want to pay any taxes, but they want to be able to go get library books and movies and audio books any time they want. Uh, where do you think those materials come from? Librarians just pull it out of the air? We're a special breed of humans, but we're not that special. I wish we were, that would be awesome.

I found out that I'm going to get to work the Halloween event at work this year. Some people are upset about being scheduled to work events, but not me. I'm excited to have a reason to come up with a costume this year and be able to hand out candy to kiddos and have fun! And this year I have Pinterest to help me decide upon a costume! Plus, three of my work buddies are going to be working the event as well, so I'm hoping that all of us dress up and have fun. It's kind of early to be thinking about Halloween, but since they sent out the schedule today, it gets me thinking about this stuff. Maybe Carmen Sandiego? Or Wenda, the less familiar female counterpart of Waldo from 'Where's Waldo?' fame? Something that would be relatively easy to put together and wear most of the day to work. Hmm, hmm, hmm?

During lunch today I heard the song "Gangsta's Paradise" by Coolio. Remember that? I had the 1996 Grammy Nominees cassette tape back in the day and that song was on it. Today I was reminded of how often I listened to that tape. I knew every word of that song and rapped along while waiting for my grilled chicken sandwich + fries. Sixteen years later, and that song is still awesome. I went and listened to several Coolio songs this evening on Youtube, and really? Coolio was awesome. Rap was good back in the mid-90s. I'm sure everyone thinks that about whatever music was from from whatever time they were growing up. Still...good songs. I forgot that GP was from the movie Dangerous Minds.



Sidenote about singing in public: While at lunch, there were several older songs that came on the radio. We had not only a Coolio sing-along, but Aerosmith's "Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" (a real sing-along song), and some other doozies as well. This particular restaurant never fails at having at least one sing-along song during your lunch break. I could hear singing coming from a couple of other tables and it made me think that if you had all women in one room and piped in music, I would guess that there's a 99.8% chance that before that song is over, you'd have women singing along. Not necessarily women who are friends with each other, either. Just women who happen to be in the same place hearing the same song. I think women tend to sing in public way more than men. If you had a room full of men and piped in really well-known songs, I don't think you'd have as solid a bet that before that song ended, men would be belting out the tune. They might be bopping their heads and tapping their feet, but men don't tend to just up and sing in public the way women do. Kind of a pity, there's something really endearing about strangers singing along together. It should happen more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment