Curious discovery on Google Earth. Yesterday I went to see if Google had re-done any of its images of my house. I'm hoping for a new Street View shot sometime because the image of my house is really old and not at all what it looks like now. Well, Street View is (boo hoo) still outdated, but I noticed that the satellite must have gone over JC earlier this year because the main satellite view is different. I know this because my neighbor's SUV is seen on Google Earth now and they didn't move in until January of this year.
So, I scrolled in and out around my house for a bit and then (as you do) went exploring around town. I could tell that the image was taken in the Winter because the trees are all bare, around mid-day because of the shadows, and on a weekend because the government office parking lots are empty. Sunday seems likely because St. Joseph Cathedral's parking lot is kind of full. So, after deciding to go with those tidbits, I went looking for my dad's house to see what it looked like. His house is no more than 4 or 5 miles from my own and I expected it to be Winter on that side of town as well. I was deceived by Google, though! It's Summer at my dad's house!
So, then I started trying to find the dividing line in town to see where the satellite stopped taking its images this past winter and then I started laughing because it chopped the Country Club's golf course in half. And you can see part of the course with golfers on it enjoying one of the golf greens, while the neighboring hole is all dead and bleak. Ahahaha.
Good job to Google editors for making such a seamless connection between the two satellite images, though. I am impressed. And very amused.

No comments:
Post a Comment