Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Please don't tame the shrew.

I kind of want a shirt that has my post title on it. It would probably be one of my favorite shirts. I might make one someday. Hmm.

My house is screamin' for a cleanin'. Now that vacations are done and one job is over and a new one has begun, life looks like it could be slowing back down a little. Maybe enough that I can get a handle on all the piles of stuff around the house. It all stems from my initial foray into painting oh so many months ago. I think I'm far enough removed from some of the painting projects now that I can clean up areas. I might do that a little bit today on this Independence Day. It's too hot to spend much time outside today. The big news of the day is that Watson, my dad's cat, is coming to stay for a while. Beatrix is going to love it. While I was in Omaha, my dad took care of Beatrix at his house and Bea and Watson seemed to come to a bit of a truce, and maybe even the start of a friendship. Since it's only been several days since they've been out of each other's company, I think the transition back into sharing a house shouldn't be too bad. Even though my house is smaller and there are fewer places to hide. I think it will work out.

I'm two days into my new trabajo and it's pretty fun so far. I have a lot more responsibility than I've ever had before. I get to make decisions and stuff! Watch out! Things got done in the past, but people are overwhelmed with their job duties and things are kind of stressful in my new area. I don't like stress, you know. I hate it, actually. Stress and drama are two things I avoid like the plague. At work, I'm now in charge of inter-library loan, which is not something I've ever had anything to do with in the past. It's interesting and I am sorta digging it right now. Still, the procedures for it seem totally wonky to me. Things can be much simpler than they have been and I plan to make things as easy as possible. I don't like being weeks and weeks behind in my work. The person I replaced retired about a month ago and I think she did a great job and wrote out some really awesome instructions, but some of the things that it says to do seem redundant and I won't be doing it that way. I checked with my boss to make sure that I actually am in charge of certain procedures and have the ability to change them and I do! Woooot! But I'm impatient, so I think I need to settle down a little. I am only two days into the job but I've got so many plans worked out in my head as to how I want things done. I think I'm going to need to take a breather because probably my co-workers aren't ready for the Tornado-of-change-named-Jill to come roaring through at the moment. Despite how ready I am. I have other non-ILL duties as well, but for the past two days I've mostly been focusing on that. Since it's a holiday week and a lot of people are on vacation, it seemed easier to just have some time to putter around and get settled in.

I had to go and get a new security badge on Monday and they switched me from officially being a student to officially being a real employee! I was looking at the two badges and the student one was taken almost exactly two years ago when I quit my job at the Archives and went back to school full-time. I actually look younger now than I did then. I think you can tell that you're moving in the right direction if you can look at yourself now and look at yourself a couple of years ago and actually see that you're happier and healthier. I definitely smile and laugh more now than I ever did back then. Looking at the two badges made me realize what a good decision going back to school was for me. I'm definitely in a much better place because of it. It's nice to be able to recognize that you did something that was rough, but good for yourself, you know? Plus, getting a job where I can use the degree that I quit the prior gainful employment to get, helps too. Kind of validates it all...

Isn't it strange that it's already July? This year has gone by really quickly. I don't get to take any more time off for about six months now that I'm a newbie at work again. I think that's okay though. Here I am, already getting a day off for a holiday. Starting employment in July and having that probation period is easier than starting in January, I think. I was thinking of all the holidays I get off during my probationary period since it's the latter half of the year. Counting today, I get 6 days off in the next six months, compared to just 2 holidays in the first six months of the year. Americans are rear-heavy in the holiday department where the calendar is concerned.

I need to go pick some stuff up that Bea has thrown all over the place. A hint that it's time to clean up the paint supplies is when she starts to drag the replacement foam rollers up the stairs as toys. I walked out of my room this morning to see one of the foam rollers I used on the dressers up on the staircase landing by my door. It was on the kitchen sink drying after being cleaned. I think Bea brings me these things as gifts sometimes. She plays a lot, but she always leaves them right by my door or drags them into my room and leaves them so I see them pretty easily. I have to say, though, I much prefer this sort of gift-giving by the cat than what other people's cats bring them. I've never had any cat dump a mouse carcass or anything at my door. I would scream and probably not be able to come out of my room for a while. Foam rollers are more my style. I think Bea recognizes this fact and we're on the same page.

No comments:

Post a Comment