Monday, July 16, 2012

Cheers for helmets!

A friend of mine decided to move to the coast of South Carolina...and so she went! How fun, I think. She's a very beachy person and had talked about wanting to live near a beach someday, and poof: now she is! I admire that a lot. People that actually follow through on things that they want to do. I like to think I do that, but sometimes I fall into the category of wishful thinkers. I think of just up and starting over someplace that I find beautiful and it sounds like a lot of fun and adventure! At the moment, even thinking of where I'd go kind of draws a blank. So...I don't know where I'd up and go if i decided to up and go, but it sounds nice. Maybe Newfoundland? It looks like a place I'd enjoy being... I like cooler weather, rocky sea shores and colorful buildings. I could be a librarian/archivist on the shores of Newfoundland... Hmm.




I saw a production of "The Importance of Being Earnest" yesterday and it was fun. I don't go to theaters enough. I should go to more plays and musicals. (I always think that after seeing a play or musical.) I went to the Summer Rep production of "Chicago" last year and it was FANTASTIC. So, I knew I wanted to go back again this year. The musical they're doing is "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum", which falls into the rarefied category of musicals I detest. But I was saved because they also chose to do the aforementioned Oscar Wilde play. It was well done and funny. Quite quippy and the actors all did a really great job with the English dialect. Algernon Moncrieff is usually manning the cash register when I go to Ingredient for lunch. Last week I mentioned I was planning to see the play and he was very excited to know someone was going to actually show up to see it. He did a really great job, so I can report that the next time I wander in for lunch soon. Algernon eats almost constantly through the entire play and the guy only nearly choked once! Excellent job! If I were in a really wordy play and had a ton of lines to remember, plus having to constantly eat sandwiches, apples, muffins, and drink tea, I'd probably choke or get the hiccups or something, which might throw the timing of the entire play off, you know? Anyway, these actors are really good at not choking or getting the hiccups. It runs for another two weeks, I think. If you're in the mood for a play and in the MU area, check it out, si?

July is probably my least favorite month of the year. It's too hot...that's mostly what my problem with it is, I guess... Yeah, nothing really especially awful about the month except for the heat. I probably wouldn't mind it at all if I lived in the Southern Hemisphere. But, so far this month hasn't been too terrible! First the new job, then the settling in of the new job, then cat-sitting Watson for a bit. It's been pretty nice, actually. Bea and Watson got along wonderfully while my Dad was in New Mexico. Watson finally got over whatever issues he had with Beatrix and they spent much of their time playing and chasing each other around the first floor of the house. I was pleasantly surprised to see Watson actually jogging across the floor a few times initiating a game with Bea. Now Watsy's gone and Bea is having to amuse herself. She's trying to get back in the swing of things, but I can tell she's a little at sixes and sevens without her giant playmate. That livened up a lot of the early part of July. There's been some cranky bits, too. The heat, of course is number one. I get really lazy in the summer. I actually took a nap on Saturday afternoon! It was kind of nice, actually. I would be super-into the siesta idea if I had to live in warmer climes constantly. I heard that there's no outlook of cooler weather for the next three weeks. Boo x 3. Also, I got a chip in my windshield on one of my commutes to/from work. Boo to that, too. First windshield chip ever, though, so I think that's not really too bad. Just annoying when it happened. Really, it made me worry about motorcyclists. How often do those poor people get hit with rocks that fly up from the tires of those too-big pick-up trucks that are so popular in these parts? Scary! Another reason to wear the helmets... A rock that can chip a windshield can probably kill a person if it hits them sans helmet, eh? If it doesn't kill them, it will probably leave a pretty rough crater at any rate.

Helmets, yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment