Friday, March 9, 2012

Come on feel the noise.

I would love to have a real jukebox in my house. Not one of the digital ones that (few) places have now, but one of the retro ones with the flip cards and things. And I'd rig it so it plays without putting money in. I'll put that on my little mental list of things I'd like to put in my dream home someday. It would be full of songs, but today I discovered exactly what the best Pandora station is for your work day: Quiet Riot radio. I promise you that if you go to Pandora and create a station around Quiet Riot, you will have a rocking workday. It's great.

This was not really that long of week, but it was full of work. My little area had a deadline this week and it was crazy busy. I kind of prefer that though. I mean, people were stressed out and sometimes kind of cranky, but I enjoy being busy (with real tasks, not busy work) rather than kind of half-busy. It was good busy and I got tons of things done and met the deadline. Feels good, eh? Si. In the not so distant future, all my civil war letters will be showcased in a very nice way on the interwebs. Someday soon I'll have to switch from my letters to newspapers. I will miss my letters. Social history is something I've always enjoyed more than other types of history and this project has been mostly focused on social history. I love it. I wish they taught the Civil War from a more social history angle. I wish the schools did a lot of things differently, and teaching history is top of the list. I think it's a bit more important than being the throwaway subject that the principals give to the coaches so they can say that they teach. But that's an argument for another day. So, I'll be moving on to newspapers soon. I have to admit to having less interest in newspapers than manuscripts, but we'll see. I'm trying to withhold judgement. I'll learn new things, which is always good. And if the content and/or process is less interesting? ...You can't win them all, I guess. 

Good news of the day: There's a bumper crop of strawberries this year, which means lower costs in the stores for the deliciousness that is strawberries and angel food cake. I really appreciate the marketing the stores do, too, by putting the angel food cake right next to the baskets of strawberries. Mmmm. I can almost taste it now...

This weekend we put our clocks forward again. It got me thinking about the seasons. I'm not really a summer person. I mean that in the sense that I don't like hot weather. Baking in the heat has never been something that's thrilled me. But, for whatever reason, I'm ready for summer this year. It's bizarre since we haven't really had much of a winter in these parts. It's been very mild. I have little flowers blooming in my flower bed. I have no idea what they are, and I didn't plant them, they've spontaneously arrived this year. They're pretty little blue flowers. Props to the wind or birds or whatever is helping my garden to grow in this adventurous way. I dig it.

(Let's begin the weekend with a pun!)

No comments:

Post a Comment