I grew up watching old movies. Old musicals, especially. I had a framed picture of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers in my room for quite a few years. I love them all, but Gene Kelly is my favorite. His choreography was always really outstanding. Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers brought elegance and a real gracefulness to the movies that they danced in. They were pretty, and I love it, but it was also somewhat predictable. Gene Kelly brought style and humor and creativity. You never really knew what you were gonna get. That's why he's my favorite dancer (and his voice is pretty sweet, too). I used to watch the old musicals with my mom when I was little and learn dance steps from them. Gene Kelly was so easy to learn from because his movements are really precise, but also pretty easy to mimic once you watch them a few times.
In this week's Sunday Funday video (a few hours early, I know), we've got Gene Kelly singing and figure roller skating, and then tap dancing on those roller skates. And you get French subtitles this week.
Whether you like old movies or not; whether you think men tap dancing is cool or not, you have to admit: this is pretty awesome. If you saw some guy tap dancing on roller skates, you'd stop whatever you were doing and probably be all like, 'Whoa! That's cool.' Because it is.
No comments:
Post a Comment