In the US, today is Mother's Day. In the past, not having my mom around made seeing the cards and the celebrations of other families difficult and this was sort of a personal 'pity party' day. But, I feel no bitterness this year because it finally dawned on me that there is no rule saying you can only celebrate moms who are still alive. Nobody is going to tell you that you're not allowed to celebrate your mom and who she was, even if she's no longer around to eat dinner with or talk with. When you used to be able to celebrate a holiday like this and you suddenly feel like you can't, it's important to remember that nobody is out to get you. You shouldn't take the comments or the celebrations of others as a personal attack. If you can get past the feeling of exclusion, it's nice to see other families celebrating with their moms and grandmas. I don't have the ability to sit down to a meal with my mom or grandmas, but I can smile without bitterness at those who do. It's a nice sight. I think of my mom everyday, but today, on a day when I've struggled in the past, this is a no pity party zone.
If you find yourself without your mom around, I hope that you still celebrate her today. I know I usually do some kind of funny video. And, I don't really have one. I have some really hilarious home movies of my mom, but I don't know how to put them on the computer. I might look into that... James Taylor's songs always remind me of my mom and some in particular have special meaning to me. My mom really liked the Carolinas and while I have other songs that remind me of my mom and the way that I felt about her, this song is so great. So, in honor of my mom, here is James Taylor singing "Carolina on My Mind".
(Also, this is a good video because James Taylor always reminds me of an accountant who hopped on stage with his guitar after a long day at work, but this is him pre-accountant days when he looked a bit more like a hippy rocker. Get on with your bad self, James.)
So, Happy Mother's Day to my Mom, and Happy Mother's Day to you and yours!
I know! Can you believe she's 41 in that picture? She looks so young. Also, that is such a funny full picture too, because she's laughing while holding me by my neck and Oliver is just staring at her with this look like, 'Really? They just gave you have this thing to take care of? I think there's been a mistake.'
Happy Mother's day Joann! Thanks for raising such an awesome daughter. I can't believe how much you look like her in that top right photo!!
ReplyDeleteI know! Can you believe she's 41 in that picture? She looks so young. Also, that is such a funny full picture too, because she's laughing while holding me by my neck and Oliver is just staring at her with this look like, 'Really? They just gave you have this thing to take care of? I think there's been a mistake.'
ReplyDelete