In all honesty, I'm not that into television. I like it for the purposes of attaching a dvd player to it and watching movies, and I enjoy watching sports games on it sometimes, but I don't have cable, so I can't even watch that stuff in my home unless its on the only channel I sometimes get with my digi antennae. I have one television show that I watch because life is just not worth living sometimes without The Big Bang Theory. (That was not a joke. I am that serious about the awesome power of that sitcom.) Also, I have a small living room, so there's not really any reason to put a lot of money into a gigantic tv. And I never would, on my own, but....
I have awesome neighbors and one of them rang the doorbell over the weekend and offered me his 36" tv that he doesn't want any longer. He got himself a 50" tv (holy. cow.) and was just going to throw this one out if I didn't want it. So, of course I said I'd take it. It's big! It's got a flat screen, but is still a real television with some junk in the trunk, so it takes two to carry it. My previous tv was big enough for me and it has a vcr on it, so I don't want to get rid of it since the other one doesn't have that. So, I dragged my littler tv upstairs and have created a little tv/vcr movie area next to the record player. It's like my guest room is becoming a 'past technology museum' filled with stuff that most people don't use any longer but that I happen to still enjoy. As I type this, I'm watching Rock Hudson and Doris Day argue over their telephone line in "Pillow Talk". I couldn't possibly give up these old movies...
Anyway, I've discovered that I've been missing some cool stuff by living in the past of smaller tvs. Movies are suddenly waaaay more fun to watch (theater-esque, you might say), the newer tv gets better reception from my digi antennae and I got the severe weather coverage on my local news without having to mess with the antennae last night at all. And, most surprising of all, is suddenly how cool video games have become. I only have a wii system and have maybe 5 games to play because I rarely see any video games that pique my interest enough to buy. But, wow, those five piddly little games look waaaaay cooler on this bigger tv. It's more exciting all of a sudden. I ran out the battery on my wii controller playing various games.
I'll stop going on and on about it now, although it's obviously pretty exciting to me. I mean, who has neighbors like this?! It's crazy awesome. I never could have afforded to buy a tv like this and to have one for free suddenly dumped into my lap by my super nice neighbor? Spect. Acular.
No comments:
Post a Comment