Sunday, March 3, 2013

Filmy photogs.

True/False is over for 2013. I did go to my first True/False film this weekend: I saw "No" and it was really good. I learned a ton about the Pinochet ad campaigns, but during the Q&A session with the producer after the film, I learned a lot about present-day Chile. For instance, the students have been on strike for over two years. They quit high school and college two years ago and many haven't gone back. They're striking for reasonably-priced public education. They pay over 40k for an education (beginning in high school). It's one of the highest costs of education in the world. I've been reading a lot about it since I saw the film, which, admittedly was not about this at all... http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/07/free-tuition-and-free-speech-a-guide-to-chiles-student-protest-movement/259326/

The movie was about the downfall of Pinochet and the tv advertising campaign for the "NO" vote on whether to keep Pinochet or not. It was a really interesting movie and it was shot with the same 1988 camera that the actual tv spots were shot with. This was interesting because you really feel like you're in 1988. It's different than watching a movie that has a little of the original footage mixed with the HD camera work of the 21st century. It's very interesting that they filmed it this way, I thought. Seamless. Good choice! Plus, they were able to have a lot of the people who actually worked on the "NO" campaign in 1988 to play parts in the movie (not themselves, obviously, since they are decades older, but still. Very cool, too.

All the film stuff made me start to work with a different photo technique in honor of T/F. I took some older photos and edited them to look something akin to a documentary-style. It's called a 'cinemascope' technique and I think it turned out kind of cool! Sort of like you can turn the pictures of your life into your own little biographical documentary... Might be neat to sometime do a photo shoot in this style and then turn it into a slideshow video of some sort. Maybe?


















No comments:

Post a Comment