This morning the shuttle bus to work was so full, I had to stand. I pretended I was in a big city. It was exciting! I tried to hide my big smile at my excitement at standing on a moving bus, but I think I ended up sort of looking creepy to my fellow riders as I did let out a random giggle at one point when the driver took a quick turn at one point. I'm happy to say that, although I haven't spent much time standing around on public transportation in many years now, my balance is still superb! Much better than the guy in front of me, who I was more afraid was going to flop back onto me a couple of times. Guys have higher centers of gravity and I think it's a little tougher for them (or, this one in particular?) to stay fully upright on a shuttle bus while going uphill and making quick turns. But, it was really pretty fun and I find myself sort of hoping for a repeat tomorrow morning...minus the fear of being squashed by a fellow bus-rider.
Also, at work we're pairing up with the Textile and Apparel Mgmt department for an exhibit on Nell Donnelly Reed, a fashion designer from KC. (http://shs.umsystem.edu/historicmissourians/name/r/reed/index.html). She was the designer/creator of Nelly Don fashion line. She's seems to have had a fantastic fashion sense and was incredibly successful. To the point that she was kidnapped and held for ransom. Interesting life, really. Her husband seems to have not been able to do much to help find her when she was kidnapped. Another man got the police together with a KC crime boss and found Nell and got her released without paying the ransom. Within a year, Nell had divorced her husband and married the man who worked so hard to find her. There's a whole movie about Nell Reed called "A Stitch in Time". She lived to be 102....interesting stuff. Some of the dresses for the exhibit showed up today for installation and I went and peeked in toward the end of the day and my eyes are probably still green with envy after seeing them. They are so awesome.
I really feel like if someone took the patterns like hers and made lines of dresses in the classic styles and made them cheap enough for regular people to buy, the style sense of the United States would suddenly rise to new heights. I think women would love to wear those dresses again. At least, judging by just the poll of women in my workplace, we all want dresses like those in the exhibit. I know there are a few online stores that sell modern vintage dresses, but I personally feel that Modcloth, Ruche, and the like are grossly overpriced. I love their clothing, but if you want a vintagey-looking dress you have to practically sell your soul to get one. Ridiculous.
Some music to end this Thursday with (I can't stop listening to this song):


No comments:
Post a Comment