Saturday, March 23, 2013

Throwback Movie Night: Waiting to Exhale

New series here on the blog! I watch bunches and bunches of movies. I own bunches and bunches of movies. So, Throwback Movie Nights is an event that happens a lot around here. I decided that I'd finally share some of them with the blog-o-sphere. Because...I work well with weekly editions of things. Thanks to scheduled blogging, I plan to have a new Throwback Movie Night review published each Saturday night for the foreseeable future...or until I get bored and find some other thing I want to do.

So, that's my intro. The rules for Throwback Movie Night are very few:
-For a movie to be considered 'Throwback' it must be at least 15 years old.
-If possible, I will include a video of a great scene, the original trailer of the movie, and/or a song from the soundtrack.
That's it. Onward!
______________________________________________________________

Tonight's Throwback Movie Night is "Waiting to Exhale". I love this movie. It came out in 1995 from Twentieth Century Fox and was based on the Terry McMillan novel of the same name. (Fun fact: McMillan also wrote "How Stella Got Her Groove Back"). This movie stars Angela Bassett, Whitney Houston, Loretta Devine, and Lela Rochon as four friends living in Pheonix, each dealing with their own man troubles. This is a great movie to watch with your girlfriends, especially if one just had a (bad) break-up. Forest Whitaker (think "Last King of Scotland" Oscar winner) directed the movie and gave himself a very small role in the it as one of the short-lived romances of Lena Rashon's character. He also directed some of the music videos for the awesome soundtrack (more on that down the post). As a general rule, I don't like pansy-ass female characters in anything. I like strong female characters who stand up for themselves and try to solve their own problems. These characters are strong women, part of which makes the story so good, but when times get rough, they lean on each other. (This is why it's a great girls night movie!) Although, it's not all feel-good, happy scenes. I think Angela Bassett's character has the most complex story line and she was outstanding in this entire movie. One of the most memorable scenes is when her character, Bernadine, goes into a rage after her husband admits to an affair with his secretary and announces that he's divorcing Bernadine to marry his (white) secretary. Bernadine throws her husband's belongings into his car, backs his car onto the driveway, and sets the thing on fire (nsfw!):



Of course, with Whitney Houston in the movie, you know the music was good. Babyface wrote the new songs on the soundtrack and 7 of the songs were released as singles, all of which landed on the charts. "Shoop Shoop" by Whitney Houston was the only one to make it to the number one spot for one week before being knocked out by Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men's "One Sweet Day", but it held at #2 for 11 weeks. I've always liked "Shoop Shoop", but while watching the movie, was really excited to hear Brandy's "Sittin Up In My Room" as background music on a scene! I didn't remember that her song was from the soundtrack. I really loved this song, and am so glad to be reunited with it through Throwback Movie Night!:

No comments:

Post a Comment