Monday, September 3, 2012

Quando, quando, quando.

It's a holiday! And it's a beautiful day outside. What was left of Hurricane Isaac came through at the beginning of the weekend, but he was very welcome. The rain was wonderful. Now we're back to our sunny days, which is nice, too.

A local trade-a-book store in town is being sold. I was in on Saturday buying some books for my bare bookshelves and talked to the owner about it. I think someday I would love to run a used book store! It would be very different, but I've always enjoyed her store and her business has been there forever, it seems like. I remember going in with my mom when I was little. I hope whomever buys the business keeps it going and doesn't run it into the ground. It's tempting to buy a business like that when you know it's already got a pretty steady clientele, and a good reputation? I'm not ready to own a business. But someday? It would be nice. Maybe in a place like Loblolly-by-the-sea? (Okay, maybe that's too much like the movie "The Love Letter" with the terrible acting job by Blythe Danner.) But, still. A small down on the eastern coast should have a little used bookshop. And I might be just the gal to open one around there some day. I would definitely have a bookshop dog. Some kind of older, lazy mutt that likes to lay next to the counter or slowly wander the aisles now and again. Not one that would bolt out the door every time a customer came in, or one that liked to bark at people. Something calm. I got so into the idea on Saturday that I began a pinboard on Pinterest for it. Most of my friends on there have pinboards about their future baby or their future wedding or something. I have 'Future Bookshop'.

Not sure how great business-sensey this is, but I love it anyway.

What else? So, I returned to facebook, mostly just in name. But, a few of my co-workers told me about Words with Friends and so I promised to try that out and see how I liked it. Well, it's fun. I like Scrabble. But then I wandered a little further into the games area and came across SongPop. Good lord. Addiction central. I've been playing it a lot this weekend. I'm nearly kind of burned out. Nearly, but not quite. I really love music trivia games that include song clips. This is right up my alley! Did I mention that I won a game like this at a baby shower last weekend? I did. And I usually do okay on trivia nights when one of the rounds is a music trivia round. I really love it. I even took a class in high school where the tests were almost entirely done like this with little snippets of a song and you had to name the artist or title (and sometimes year). It was one of my favorite classes. SongPop is addicting and awesome and is bringing back memories of that class with songs by Connie Francis and Paul Anka. I'm sad to say I've missed a few that I probably knew back in high school. I really like that you can challenge random opponents. I've had opponents from all over. Some of the challenges I've played have been French Songs that I've never ever heard of. Or some guy that really loves Metal music. But, it's all very interesting and fun. One thing is for sure: It is all making me realize that maybe I don't need a tablet computer for much of anything except these cool apps that you can get on them. Sigh. Maybe for Christmas?

Also this weekend, I discovered that Jeff City is a TWO Jimmy Johns town now! (Possibly more, if there is one on the east side. I don't know.) But, there's a new one now right smack in downtown! If I were really into taking a walk one Saturday, I can walk there for lunch sometime. This makes me happy. I love JJs. 

And, lastly: My dad and I made homemade pasta yesterday. I'd never made pasta from scratch before but it turned out pretty well! It was easy to make, even without a pasta maker, and it was really really delicious. I'll eat pasta anytime and it's always pretty awesome, but I could tell that this was better than the normal store-bought packaged pasta. We made trofie, and they were slightly larger than they probably should have been, but still so good. My dad invented a pesto cream type of sauce and it was excellent with some asiago cheese bread we found at Hy-Vee. It was good *pig snorts*.

All in all, this has been a great weekend so far! I'm feeling pretty rested, too. It's nice to have an extra day to bum around the house. I actually got up and decided to see if I could jog around in a pair of sneakers that I have (since I can't afford new tennis shoes and my old ones didn't make it back from the Color Run). I went for a little walk/jog and ended up stopping and playing a couple of rounds of bocce at Washington Park this morning before continuing back to my car. It was fun, although there are some creepy parts of the trail that I went by today. There's something innately creepy about walking under overpasses, you know? Just tends to give me the creeps. I know I'm not the only one either, because when I was walking back to my car, there was a woman walking a bit in front of me and she slowed down when we were coming up to the first of several overpasses and she took off her sunglasses and looked all around before she continued under them. I felt less wussie when I did the same. It just seems like a good place for bad stuff to happen. But nothing bad happened. Probably the anxiety helped get the blood pumping even more than it was with the exercise, yes? Sure. 

Happy Labor Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment