I don't have much to report on goings-on in my life, but the lives of folks around me are changing quickly! New things everywhere! Mizzou fans in general had a change over this weekend as we had our first SEC football game. I mentioned last week how excited everyone seemed to be about it. Mizzou lost to Georgia, but it was a good game and I was proud of the Tigers. I saw a Georgia sports blog post about the game and it was friendly and complimentary about Columbia, Mizzou and Mizzou fans in general. The comments that were left were also mainly pro-Mizzou and that the Georgia fans were happy to have Mizzou in the conference and respected their abilities as a football team. It was nice. I think there was some disappointment by Mizzou fans to lose, but I think they should be proud of what is happening. It's a turning point, and I think both Mizzou and Texas A&M, who also began their SEC career this weekend, both did a good job at showing that they can play in their new conferences and not be humiliated on the playing field. I was happy with everything.
People that I used to know and still keep slight tabs on are starting over in new places all over the world. I found out this week that one is in Estonia, another in China, and one is back in Korea after being elsewhere for a while. Happy travels to all!
But, closer to my life personally, this week has been a busy one for friends! A buddy at work found out she was hired for one of our permanent positions on Friday afternoon (which she is perfect for, in my opinion, and I think she's going to kick ass at it). She had little time to let that sink in because she was also told she'd be starting immediately by heading to D.C. much of this week for training. Surprise! I missed the announcement of her hiring since I was at home on Monday, but we celebrated on Tuesday with a lunch before she hopped the eastbound plane. Tuesday was celebration central, because not only did I find out about my friend and her new job, but another buddy of mine ended up having a baby on Tuesday. She wasn't due for over a month. Surprise, again! I went to see the new family after work today and everybody's doing well. I don't know much about pre-mature babies (or any babies in general, for that matter), but this particular one looked pretty perfect, chilling out in his incubator getting all warm and cozy. Congrats to the new family!
I follow Letters of Note, which I think I've mentioned before, but yesterday's letter was actually an advice letter from a father to a son and the end of the letter seemed totally appropriate to share while on the topic of new additions to our species. Buddha and the Greeks tend to put things better than I ever could:
"As Buddha says: live like a mighty river. And as the old Greeks said: live as though all your ancestors were living again through you."
No comments:
Post a Comment