Saturday, September 28, 2013

So long, September.

Last weekend I traveled a few hours south and took part in my good friend Anna's wedding! It was a beautiful ceremony in a really pretty church. Congrats to the newlyweds! Anna is a high school teacher and taking a honeymoon during the school session is sort of rough so the happy couple is going to Tahiti around Christmas. Lovely choice, yes?
Tahiti!

When I returned home from the wedding on Sunday, I was greeted by Beatrix, whose face had swelled up enormously on her left side. There were also small blood spots around some areas of the apartment and I couldn't figure out what in the world she had gotten into or how she could have hurt herself. After cleaning up and trying to get a good look at her, I called the ER veterinary hospital to ask about hours, costs of visits, etc. It was mind-boggling how expensive they were and since Bea wasn't actively bleeding any longer and she seemed to be acting pretty normal at that point, I decided to let us give it a night and I would take her to a vet in the morning. She had a pretty rough evening, though and spent much of it hiding and feeling kind of rough. Her poor face was so swollen and I had decided it was probably an abscessed tooth. But, it turns out she had played and played and played with Watson when he was staying with us, and at some point she caught a claw to her face and neck and the wounds were infected. So, on Monday night when I picked her up from the vet's office, she looked much more like Two-Face, the character from Batman comics? Her left side of her face was completely shaved, her left whiskers were all cut off, and there were open bloody wounds on her cheek and a big one on the left side of her neck. She was feeling much better though, despite how terrible she looked. We've been dealing with that all week, but she's healing pretty nicely and just about back to her full ornery self. I took a picture of her wounds, but it's sort of gross, so I won't share it. She'll go back for her progress check-up later next week and hopefully then she can get her annual vaccines, which she also needs.  Caching, caching. Sometimes, a little lotto win would come in handy, you know? I don't mean a giant powerball, just a nice hundred or two hundred Scratchers win to cover those unexpected (and expected) pet bills?

The Art & Archaeology Museum on campus that I worked for during my grad school days is officially leaving campus on Monday. They are moving to a facility on the north side of town so that decisions can be made about the radiation levels of their current campus building. I think everyone is hoping this will be a very temporary move, but moving an entire museum is hardly something that you take on lightly and my feeling is (sadly) that this might be more permanent than not. I can't really see Mizzou making the clean-up of the building their number one priority, but it is really inconvenient to have them secluded on a far side of town where there is no easy way for students to get there. On the other hand, perhaps this could be a chance for the museum to make themselves better known outside the campus bubble? I'm not sure how it will all play out, but I am hoping to go say goodbye on Monday and see it in its "real" home (however radioactive it may be) one last time. There's a reception planned for it and everything. Aw.

Pickard Hall - Museum of Art & Archaeology @ Mizzou

I can hardly believe October is almost here. I'm struggling with costume ideas for Halloween. I had really wanted to do something fun and different this year. I am working a Halloween event at work and it's a lot more fun to dress up for it than to just stay in my work clothing. We also have a big annual meeting for work in October, which is always somewhat of a stressful time in the office. I've only been to one annual meeting for the society before and it was interesting. I think it will be fine in the end but the organization and prep-work that the staff are doing is starting to take its toll. That's why the universe has Hot Box Cookies, I think. Six of us went to this place on Thursday evening after work, and two of the six are some of the most over-worked and over-stressed for this annual meeting deal. It's amazing how much your stress can dissipate with a warm chocolate chip cookie, followed by a warm snickerdoodle, all accompanied by chocolate milk and laughing with co-workers over non-work related topics. It was nice. We decided it should be something we "do" from now on. I had never been to Hot Box before, but I tell ya: I'm a convert, big time. Every single cookie they have on the menu, I want to gobble up. Red velvet? Yes. Peanut butter w/ reese's pieces? Yes. White chocolate chocolate chip? Yes. Monster cookies? Yes yes yes. Plus, they do those giant cookie cakes that used to be all the rage in the early 1990s. I love those. Nom nom nom!



No comments:

Post a Comment