Happy Friday! I'm finally feeling a bit more like myself, health-wise. The person who developed cold medicine is great and I'm appreciative of it, but I hate cough syrup. Drinking syrup is just awful. I bought a combo pack of Nyquil/Dayquil syrup because it was cheaper than buying them separately in either pill form or syrup form. I challenge anybody to drink the adult (or child) recommended amount of that stuff without making a really awful face or gagging. I tend to sort of let out a squeal and a 'blllaarggh' after each medication dose, along with a scrunched up face and a couple of jerking hand motions. I'll be really happy when my cold is gone.
My house is getting an additional deck this week! A platform deck over where a cistern is located in the back yard. It's a long story, but suffice it to say, that there is a new outdoor area at the old house now! I'm heading back down this weekend to check it out. I hope it doesn't rain and I can sort of hang out on it for a bit. I haven't talked much about it, but I moved out of my house late last year after my dad sold his house in town and moved into mine. It was a temporary situation and next week at this time, my dad is closing on a house in New Mexico and moving his permanent residence down there. I have no intention of moving back to the town where my house is located, so my adorable old house is going to be put up for sale later this year. I'm not too sad about it. It's such a lovely house and I'm so happy to have been able to buy it when I was pretty young and enjoy living there for the time I needed it. I have zero qualms about living in old houses and I've learned to not be afraid to fix things in old houses, too. Between roofing, getting new appliances, learning cleaning tricks, staining decks, painting, putting up wall textures, and general upkeep of an old house, I've learned so much in the four years I've been owner of this awesome place. It's been a pretty cool experience and a really great transition into being a real-life adult. I remember when I first moved in, my neighbors would tell me about how I was too young to appreciate what I had bought. Even though I'm not that much older than I was then, I can understand what they meant a little bit now. I think I understood what I had bought, but I perhaps didn't understand the significance of what I had done. Being barely 25 and deciding to buy a century-old house on my own and live there alone with a blind cat and no experience in home improvements aside from a few experiments with painting seems like something sort of...naive. But, I never thought anything of it. It is a house that I would have always been angry at myself for not buying when I had the chance. I couldn't afford to buy a house now, not with student loans and car loans and things. That time of my life was unique in that I had no debt and all these incentives to buy a house for the first time in a neighborhood 'on the brink' (of being awesome) in town. Why not? It was a good idea and, despite perhaps not knowing exactly what I was doing or understanding how some people strive for home ownership all their life and don't achieve it, I was able to afford my little dream home at a young age and I've enjoyed it. I don't know if I'll ever buy another house, but I feel like if I move to some urban area and end up renting forever, I'll never wonder about home ownership because I really have had the most awesome house. Despite the love-fest here about the house, not living in it for a long while now has allowed me to distance myself from it and I'm feeling pretty good about selling it and letting another family have the awesome house. I'm not into becoming a landlord and having strangers move in and have to deal with being an absentee landlord. I care too much about the neighbors to let that happen, so I'll sell it to a new owner who can have the responsibility of its awesomeness. It will still be a couple of months before it can actually be sold because my dad is going to be slowly moving his stuff down to New Mexico, but I'm looking forward to it all! If it doesn't sell immediately, it's okay, too. I'm not sure how I feel about trying to sell a house in a down market, but you gotta give it a shot, yes? Getting this deck built was sort of the last big thing that I wanted to have done with the house. I'm hoping my dad and I can enjoy it for a short amount of time the rest of this summer. But, if in the coming months I start to gripe about more house-y things, you'll know why.
No comments:
Post a Comment