Saturday, July 6, 2013

Cough, cough. moan.

I'm fighting off an illness this weekend, which leaves me with lots of time to sit around and moan. Or, blog/mess about on the interwebs (while I have internet, which is spotty at best).

Yahoo is reporting that Kaley Cuoco from The Big Bang Theory is dating the newest Superman actor, Henry Cavill. I find this funny in a life-imitates-art sort of way.

I had a wonderful time at my conference in Chicago. It was super cool and I wrote a lot about it on my actual travel blog: GadaboutGetaways.wordpress.com. I decided to move to another blog site for the travel stuff because I might share that more than I want to share this with some folks.

Returning to work yesterday wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It was really really quiet, except for a woman from the "God, Please Don't Ever Let Me Be Like This" file:  a woman (probably in her mid-to-late 30s) came in and threw a temper tantrum that would have made any teenager envious. She was upset about our 'no bags or purses in the research center' policy. She had told me when she signed in that she'd been here before and she flashed a patron card at me, which means she signed a sheet saying she'd read and agreed to our policies. I always try not to laugh at people when they throw tantrums, because it seems like it would only make things worse. But, God, it's hard to hide my amusement sometimes. Especially when it's something so petty as the fact that she had to put her purse in a locker. She stomped out of the research center and down the hall about halfway, before stomping back in and dramatically scratching her name off the sign-in sheet at the front desk and then stomping back down the hall and then doing her best to slam the swinging door to leave. It was all hilarious. I figured she'd be back though, because people who come to us usually need us for some reason. The things we have, other places don't. You can't just leave and go to another library to get it. Sure enough, about five minutes later she slinks back in (without her purse) and uses the computer for a while and then leaves, without throwing another tantrum. We were all laughing about it later. I think I generally have a higher tolerance for people younger than me throwing tantrums about stuff. But, when you're older than me, I find you really ridiculous, but also really amusing. Especially ones like this woman, who become so dramatic, you want to rush after them with an Oscar for their performance.

I won't have a Throwback Movie Night review to share tonight, but while in Chicago, I caught the middle of the movie "Marilyn and Me" with Michelle Williams as Marilyn Monroe. The little bit I saw wasn't awful. It did make me want to see the real Marilyn Monroe in a movie, so I'm going to add that to the list of possible upcoming TMNs.

I think I'm going to go back to sleep and see if I can get over this cold or whatever it is. I hate being sick, but especially when it's really nice weather outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment