Saturday, June 22, 2013

Throwback Movie Night: Clue

Clue! I love this movie! My dad had never seen it before, so we watched it this week. I think he enjoyed it! If you've never seen it, it is indeed based upon the beloved board game. The premise is just as you would expect it to be: Col. Mustard, Miss Scarlett, Mrs. White, Mrs. Peacock, Prof. Plum, Mr. Green all show up to a house party and then people start dying. Whoddunit?!



The movie was filmed in 1985 with a pretty stand-out group of actors (Tim Curry, Madeline Kahn, Christopher Lloyd, and Leslie Ann Warren to name a few), but it opened to mediocre reviews and didn't even make enough money to cover the cost of filming.

But, it has since garnered a cult-following. Yay, cults?!

Tim Curry plays the butler, Wadsworth, and he's also sort of the mastermind behind the house party. The movie is full of comedy, but not always with an 'in-your-face' sort of way. Sometimes it's very subtle, which makes the movie enjoyable time after time. Another reason to watch this movie repeatedly? There are three endings! When the movie was released to theaters, the studio sent an random ending to each theater, so that if you went and saw the movie in the theater in Denver and then asked your sister what she thought of the movie when she saw it in Little Rock, she might have seen a completely different ending than you. The dvd version allows you to see all three or have the dvd choose a random ending. I usually like to be surprised and have it choose a random ending. We watched it through once with its random endings and then went into the scenes and had it show us the other two. All really intriguing and, for me, I never know who's the murderer (much like when I play the board game). The set is pretty awesome and at the time, the old house was furnished with various antiques, including things from Teddy Roosevelt's home. Sadly, the actual set itself burned up in a fire on the studio lot in 2005, I'm assuming long after Roosevelt's things had returned to their true home.



No comments:

Post a Comment